Any hope of fitting a 6" pre-insulated liner up and around these bends?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Third picture, f3... there are those angled pieces in the corners. I don't know what's going on there, but they do look like they'd block a liner.
Is that the upper part of the chimney flue...which is square with the house/wall...and the fireplace is in the corner on a 45* angle?

Sounds like a squirrelly flu arrangement to me...might be a good job for someone to custom ovalize a liner on site/custom fit...

I found a guy who might work with me. I can never know who to trust, but he seemed like the fairest guy so far. He didn't try to push me in either direction and just laid out the options between insulated/non. Said the unhelpful dealer I was communicating with doesn't insulate any of his stove installs, and he actually has re-lined and insulated a few. I'm choosing between Blaze King Princess Insert and a Pacific Energy T5. Even though he only sells the T5, he was perfectly happy to perform the relining for the Blaze King should I choose to buy it someplace else.

He talked through options and gave a 2k quote for running a 5.5" liner and filling with vermiculite and insulating the damper/throat area with durock (and or rock wool?). 17% difference in cross sectional area between 5.5" and 6" so I'm a little nervous about that, but he says it's fine, and from what I've read, a 20' run and insulation minimizes the impact on draft. I'm a laymen in the field but it seems like the way to go to me.

Last edited:
He sounds more familiar with PE stoves which are not particularly draft sensitive.

Unfortunately it is very common in many areas. And most guys aren't going to want to say otherwise because it will drive the price up and they will loose jobs. I am sure there is someone doing it right in your area but unfortunately I don't know anyone there to recommend.

Thanks for your opinions.

What is it with these people? I've asked for insulated liners from one dealer and two chimney repairmen and all three have told me I don't need it and try to steer me away. I'm going to keep calling.
I'm in CT and had to do it myself because of the same issue.

Reactions: bholler