Any Mansfield Owners Out There? Stove Suggestions Welcome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
I have an 2700 sq' Victorian Home built in 1892. I completely restored it in 2008, new windows and blown insualtion. I'm trying to ditch the $400 + gas bills this winter. I'm thinking of a Hearthstone Mansfield or an Equinox. I love the soapstone look, but I have never used anything but a Steel stove. Will I be happy with the heat output from the Soap Stone? I plan to burn 24/7 and would love (if possible) to fully rely on wood. There are two sets of staircases in the home, one at the front of the house and on in the rear that I hope will help allow for the heat to go up and cold to come down. Any thoughts. I really like the looks of Hearthstone stoves, so I'm kind of set with them as long as the soap stone will provide the heat.

Also, my wife is not to excited about a raise hearth. What are your thoughts on a high quality hearth pad? Are they safe? Do they provide enough r value to protect the carpet that will be under the pad?

Thanks
Chris

As long as you are planning on burning 24/7 the soapstone should work out great for you. The complaints come in from folks wanting to burn them for evenings and weekends - i.e. to "take the chill off" and basically get frustrated wanting to feel a blast of heat 20 minutes after lighting the match. Once you get the rock hot it is going to be radiating heat.. and radiate it will! I have only had mine for a while and I am surprised how long it radiates after the fire is gone, I can feel it as I walk past many hours longer than I would have expected to.

As to hearth pads - in theory if the pad is constructed to meet the required R-value it should protect whatever is under it (carpet, wood, whatever) I believe. Just be sure that whichever one you choose comes from a reputable company and has the proper certifications.

Soapstone stoves are real actual stoves. They get hot and will cook you out of a room just like a steel stove with the same output rating. I use a soapstone stove for 24/7 heating and it works great. The stoves don't get that hot underneath.

For 2700 SF, get the big one, the equinox. You will need to use an 8" flue.

Highbeam said:
Soapstone stoves are real actual stoves. They get hot and will cook you out of a room just like a steel stove with the same output rating. I use a soapstone stove for 24/7 heating and it works great. The stoves don't get that hot underneath.

For 2700 SF, get the big one, the equinox. You will need to use an 8" flue.

We really like the Mansfield.... I know the Equinox pushes out more heat, but do you think the Mansfield will be way under-power?

ckdeuce said:
Also, my wife is not to excited about a raise hearth. What are your thoughts on a high quality hearth pad? Are they safe? Do they provide enough r value to protect the carpet that will be under the pad?

Thanks
Chris

Chris, you didn't say how high of a hearth the wife wants. My wife insisted on 16" to raise ours and at first I was totally against it. In the end, we went with her wishes and I'm happy that we did. It makes it much easier to put wood in with the stove sitting higher and we both have terrible backs, so it helps a lot. My worry about heat rising and the floors becoming colder was nothing to worry about at all as with this stove we have our floors are warmer.

If you plan on buying a hearth pad, just be sure it has the correct r value and everything under the stove will be just fine.

Backwoods Savage said:
ckdeuce said:

Thanks
Chris

Chris, you didn't say how high of a hearth the wife wants. My wife insisted on 16" to raise ours and at first I was totally against it. In the end, we went with her wishes and I'm happy that we did. It makes it much easier to put wood in with the stove sitting higher and we both have terrible backs, so it helps a lot. My worry about heat rising and the floors becoming colder was nothing to worry about at all as with this stove we have our floors are warmer.

If you plan on buying a hearth pad, just be sure it has the correct r value and everything under the stove will be just fine.

She actually wants it as flush as possible to the floor. She doesn't want it raised because she thinks it will take over the room??? She will win....

The mansfield isn't big enough. It is only rated to heat 1800-2500 SF. The EQ is 2500-3500 which is right were you are. I have found the hearthstone ratings to be fairly accurate and you don't want to have to overfire a soapstone stove as they can crack if abused.

That said, the mansfield is a decent sized stove and will certainly reduce your furnace use. If you intend to eliminate the furnace then I think you need the larger stove.

Yeah, I agree with Highbeam, go with the big one, besides it has that awsome side loading door. The only problem i would see is the size of the room the stove will be in. Most victorians are not very open and cut up into many rooms. This could be a problem with heat distribution and make it very hot in the stove room even with soapstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.