Any need to insulate around clay tile liners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need just air space. NFP211 outlines how to build a masonary chimney.All interior chimneys need 2" clearances to any combustible (floor joists, walls, roof sheeting, trusses)
This comes from the NFP211 codes in your area may be different. The air space between the clay flue tile and block is a min of 1/2" no more then 1". All flue tiles need to be set in a full bed of refractory cement not plain block mortar.

My advice is do all the reserch you can, there are guide lines to follow but not sure every body agrees with them, I was told by more than one person that if the liners were set in cement that it caused problems so some people stacked with not cement between liners. This is not what the guide lines say not sure what to tell you, same thing about the insulation around the liner. Years ago I found an article in a magagine called My Shelter and it told how to build a chimney with insulation around the liner so that is what I had the block layer do with mine but no way in hell would I recomend that to any one because of the guide lines and my lack of knowledge on the subject. My chinmey has worked great for 30 years.

Michigan has replaced their building codes with the 2006 International Mechanical Codes so do a search for that and check out the requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.