Any of you listen to 'A Prairie Home Companion' on NPR?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love spending my Saturday nights listening to Garrison and crew. Its one of my favorite memories from my in-laws early on... sitting around drinking beer, chatting, and listening to APHC.

Can't wait to get my own wood stove and make it a family tradition here. So.. any fans?

I have a soundtrack that I enjoy listening to. Pretty good too.

Wife & I used to really enjoy it. Since she died, I haven't gotten back into it. Just ain't the same. Nothing's the same.

Wife & I used to really enjoy it. Since she died, I haven't gotten back into it. Just ain't the same. Nothing's the same.
sorry for your loss.....I bet nothing is the same. I wish you a merry xmas and happy holidays.

Thanks... same to you & yours.

No idea if we get NPR even. Only radio I have other than in the cars is it the garage and it been on the same station for 5+ years.

It can be streamed online for those who might not get it over the air. Here is their homepage (and it lists the streaming link that is active during show time): http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

Garrison is an excellent storyteller. He is accompanied by tons of guests, and has musical performers as well. Here is the wiki on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Prairie_Home_Companion

I would invite any of you to give up a single two hour Sat. night chunk to investigate it... you might love it.

It is on now while I eat dinner and get ready to head out for the night. SOP for a Saturday night.

Probably one of the few in the PHC audience that is heading out to a club for some electronic music and dancing.

Prepping for a night in the D my favorite city.

I listen to NPR quite a bit . . . mostly for the news . . . Car Talk and Wait, Wait -- Don't Tell Me . . . but I'm an uneducated heathen when it comes to PHC -- something about the way he tells the stories just turns me right off.

Reactions: aussiedog3
Had it on today while I was pulling together the shop. We listen to NPR a fair amount.

I listen to my local NPR a LOT. Also download podcasts of my Favorites (This American Life, Radio Lab, Snap Judgement...).
I can't stand listening to Garisson or any of the sketches. I would prob ilke some of the music if I kept it on.
PHC fans might also want to check-out The Vinyl Cafe, a similar show on CBC radio (online or download the App). Stuart McLean is the canadian Keillor.

I love me some NPR, but I'm usually on some adventure on any given weekend, and I can tell if I'm late or not by how far into NPR's weekend line up I get:
Car Talk - I should be at the gas station stocking up or otherwise well on my way.
Wait Wait... I should be unloading the bikes from the car.
Prairie Home Companion - Off to a late start, and I'll be getting home after dark.

I think 'Guy Noire' is my favorite skit, but when PHC is doing humor, it's usually very good.

Enjoy it while its lasts, I think Garrison is getting ready for an exit and next thing you know they will be rediting reruns like Car Talk is doing.

I really like the whole weekend lineup. I like Prairie Home Comp quite a bit- I'd like it more if Garrison didn't sing :)

This American Life has to be the best thing on the radio. The Moth is excellent as well.

Its usually every Sat. and if we miss it Sunday afternoon. Also love wait wait don't tell me!

Status
Not open for further replies.