Any one have the new Vermont Castings Defiant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
What do you think if it? Any problems? How well does the cat work on this model? Thanks everyone.

I have the new Encore, which is the smaller version.
Overall it has been a great heater this winter even using marginal wood. I did have an issue early on where the thermostat cable was getting hung up inside the air channel causing the flap to stay shut, but once I got that sorted out it has worked great.
It's my first time using a cat stove. I don't know if was my "beginner" operating skill level earlier this winter or what, but my catalyst has already started to show some cracks and signs of degradation. I probably thermally shocked it a couple times when I closed the bypass too soon after reloading. Anyway, I'm hoping to get another season out of it but I'll be lucky to get more than that.
With that said, the catalyst does perform really well. I can turn the stove all the way down or up and I never have any visible smoke, except on a cold start and for about 2-3 mins after shutting the bypass on a reload. The cat temperature usually shoots up to within 7/8 of the max temperature (looking at their stock cat probe without any numbers on it) and then slowly decreases over the duration of the burn.
I posted a thread earlier about the stupid throat hood (the piece in the back that covers the catalyst) falling off while the stove was hot. It still happens, but I changed to a different tool for raking my coals and it doesn't happen as much anymore.
So anyway, I don't know for sure how much of this is relevant to the Defiant, but from what I understand it's basically a bigger version of the Encore. Hope it's helpful, I've generally been very happy with the stove after getting used to a couple of quirks.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
It is a beautiful looking stove. Have you looked at other stoves of similar size and price point?

It is a beautiful looking stove. Have you looked at other stoves of similar size and price point?
Yes, this particular stove has wife-approval. Also the Blaze King Ashford. I am not a big fan of cat stoves yet. I ask alot of questions on different makes and models but in the end it all comes down to if my wife likes the stove or not. I like the Lopi Liberty, but I don’t think she will go for it. I may be able to talk her into a PE Summit. It has to be pretty.

I have the new Encore, which is the smaller version.
Overall it has been a great heater this winter even using marginal wood. I did have an issue early on where the thermostat cable was getting hung up inside the air channel causing the flap to stay shut, but once I got that sorted out it has worked great.
It's my first time using a cat stove. I don't know if was my "beginner" operating skill level earlier this winter or what, but my catalyst has already started to show some cracks and signs of degradation. I probably thermally shocked it a couple times when I closed the bypass too soon after reloading. Anyway, I'm hoping to get another season out of it but I'll be lucky to get more than that.
With that said, the catalyst does perform really well. I can turn the stove all the way down or up and I never have any visible smoke, except on a cold start and for about 2-3 mins after shutting the bypass on a reload. The cat temperature usually shoots up to within 7/8 of the max temperature (looking at their stock cat probe without any numbers on it) and then slowly decreases over the duration of the burn.
I posted a thread earlier about the stupid throat hood (the piece in the back that covers the catalyst) falling off while the stove was hot. It still happens, but I changed to a different tool for raking my coals and it doesn't happen as much anymore.
So anyway, I don't know for sure how much of this is relevant to the Defiant, but from what I understand it's basically a bigger version of the Encore. Hope it's helpful, I've generally been very happy with the stove after getting used to a couple of quirks.
Thank you very much for all the information. The Encore is a beautiful stove. I am sure it would get wife-approval. How do you like the ash pan? Is the combustor easy to get to? How many sq.ft see you heating? How do you like the top load feature and the thermostat?

Yes, this particular stove has wife-approval. Also the Blaze King Ashford. I am not a big fan of cat stoves yet. I ask alot of questions on different makes and models but in the end it all comes down to if my wife likes the stove or not. I like the Lopi Liberty, but I don’t think she will go for it. I may be able to talk her into a PE Summit. It has to be pretty.
If your wife approves of the Ashford go that route. The vc stoves have improved but still are way behind most others on the market when it comes to reliability and ease of use.

Thank you very much for all the information. The Encore is a beautiful stove. I am sure it would get wife-approval. How do you like the ash pan? Is the combustor easy to get to? How many sq.ft see you heating? How do you like the top load feature and the thermostat?
The ash pan is fine although if you try to empty it while there's any coals in the stove, it will very quickly turn into a rocket engine. Better to empty when the stove is cold or just use a shovel.
As for the combustor, you get to it by removing two pieces of refractory in the back of the firebox. Seems fine to me but I don't have any other cat stove to compare it to. I do like the top loading feature. I think it's more critical for EW loaders like the VC since you don't have to worry about the wood rolling out or getting it over top of those andirons.
I'm using the stove to provide supplemental heat in my 2400 sqft poorly insulated colonial. It keeps roughly half of the house toasty, and the rest still needs a bit of help from my NG furnace.
Also, I haven't had the VC long enough to know about reliability. I bought it before I joined this forum and it seems like VC has a bit of a reputation on here for breaking / being difficult to service so you should definitely think about that. However, I am happy with it so far.

I like my VC but i like my BK better. Looks aside.
happy wife.....happy life as the saying goes. Stoves are not cheap nowadays and if you are dropping 3k plus on a stove and potentially (based on history) might have to perform some major repairs (in a vicinity of 1k) after 4yrs depending on usage. Believe you me.......not a happy wife......

I like the Lopi Liberty, but I don’t think she will go for it. I may be able to talk her into a PE Summit. It has to be pretty.
Then show her the Alderlea T6 too.

Reactions: Diabel
Then show her the Alderlea T6 too.
Yes, The T6 would be great. If PE offered it in Majolica brown, my problem would be solved. I emailed them and asked them about that and they never responded to me. Great company to do business with.

Doesn’t Jotul offer a brown enamel.....

Oslo looks nice and is a proven performer
The v3 I believe is the only oslo available. And it is far from a proven design. I would buy a vc before that one.

The v3 I believe is the only oslo available. And it is far from a proven design. I would buy a vc before that one.
Wow
Did not know that. I was referring to the older Oslo.

Yes, The T6 would be great. If PE offered it in Majolica brown, my problem would be solved. I emailed them and asked them about that and they never responded to me. Great company to do business with.
The T6 has never had an enamel finish. Options are listed on the website. I suppose one could paint it and then give it a high temp clear coat.

I just bought one and unpacked it this weekend. I am pissed it did not ship with the little elephant shelves, like I saw it with at the store and about every ad online...
Now I'm struggling with how and why to install the "Catalyst Temperature Probe". The manual sux. I cannot tell from the ONE diagram what I am looking at. My best guess it sits at the rear of the stove? (I am attaching the manual page). If so, just how the hell am I supposed to look at it?
I am thinking I don't really need it. Just something else to fail, and I don't like how it penetrates the box.
Nowhere in the manual does it discuss how to use it either, huge oversight.
Any advice appreciated !

Attachments

• Cat Temp Probe Installation (from manual).pdf
    151.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I just bought one and unpacked it this weekend. I am pissed it did not ship with the little elephant shelves, like I saw it with at the store and about every ad online...
Now I'm struggling with how and why to install the "Catalyst Temperature Probe". The manual sux. I cannot tell from the ONE diagram what I am looking at. My best guess it sits at the rear of the stove? (I am attaching the manual page). If so, just how the hell am I supposed to look at it?
I am thinking I don't really need it. Just something else to fail, and I don't like how it penetrates the box.
Nowhere in the manual does it discuss how to use it either, huge oversight.
Any advice appreciated !
The side shelves have always been an option that cost extra. Honestly I would get a digital cat probe so it's easier to read. And yes you absolutely need a cat thermometer if you want to have any chance of running the stove properly.