Any reviews on DuraVent DDW double wall stovepipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darren Hatina

Oct 22, 2022
Fernie, BC
Hi all,

I have come upon the DuraVent DDW line (only available in Canada) of double walled stove pipe which is air vented rather than insulated.

They claim "The outer wall features a series of openings that allow for maximum recovery of heat from the flue gases. In fact, it is almost as efficient as a single wall black pipe."

Anyone have experience with this product and can vouch for its performance?

I'm thinking of replacing my Excel(ICC) double walled stove pipe with this to get more heat from the stove.

Thanks,
Darren
Morsoe 6140

I think this is Security's SecureBlack stovepipe. DuraVent recently acquired the company.

Reactions: Darren Hatina
Hi all,

I have come upon the DuraVent DDW line (only available in Canada) of double walled stove pipe which is air vented rather than insulated.

They claim "The outer wall features a series of openings that allow for maximum recovery of heat from the flue gases. In fact, it is almost as efficient as a single wall black pipe."

Anyone have experience with this product and can vouch for its performance?

I'm thinking of replacing my Excel(ICC) double walled stove pipe with this to get more heat from the stove.

Thanks,
Darren
Morsoe 6140
The excel is far better pipe.

It's the stove's job to heat the space. Keeping flue gases hot throughout the flue system is the stovepipe and chimney's job.

The 6140 is a small stove. Could be that a larger stove is needed? How large of an area is being heated and how well insulated is the home?

It's the stove's job to heat the space. Keeping flue gases hot throughout the flue system is the stovepipe and chimney's job.

The 6140 is a small stove. Could be that a larger stove is needed? How large of an area is being heated and how well insulated is the home?
The home is 2000sqf and was completely renovated in 2012 so is well insulated and has triple glazed windows. The stove does well to heat the open living area and we use the furnace blower to circulate the heat. I love the stove but have considered getting a larger one, especially one that could take wood longer than 12". I was only curious about the vented double wall as a cheap way to get more heat from the existing one and avoid the expense of going bigger.

At best, the 6140 will heat about 1,000 sq ft. A bigger stove will have several advantages including more heat, longer firewood, and longer burn time.

Reactions: bholler
Bottom line, have an efficient stove, i.e. heat gets transferred to the room and not put into the exhaust. Then don't cool down those gases any further; you need the temperature for creating draft.