New Homeowners trying to install double wall Duravent stovepipe into an existing Selkirk Attic Shield.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wiserat4

Dec 16, 2023
United States
I appreciate that this website even exists. I have no clue what I'm doing, so I need all the advice I can get. I bought this old farm house in Iowa. However the previous owners took their wood burning stove with them and left this Selkirk ceiling adapter, attic shield, and a chimney from Hart & Cooley all in place. The Hart & Cooley chimney does not fit the Selkirk attic shield, so the previous owners decided to cut the tapered part of the shield and fold it down so that the chimney would fit. Not knowing any of this in advance, I bought Duravent double-walled stove pipe to run from our Englander wood burning stove to the ceiling. As shown in the pictures below, the Duravent does not work with Selkirk ceiling adapters. It's too small. So my question has two parts:
1. Can I get rid of the Selkirk ceiling adapter and attic shield and still save the Hart & Cooley chimney for a Duravent Support box and shield?
2. Or do I have to get rid of all of it and start over with just Duravent products including the chimney?
20231216_165034.jpg
20231216_165101.jpg
20231216_170119.jpg
20231216_170114.jpg
20231216_164923.jpg

The only thing I see missing is a stovepipe adaptor. Hart&cooley is the same manufacturer as Selkirk. The components are compatible with each other.

Reactions: cahaak and Wiserat4
The only thing I see missing is a stovepipe adaptor. Hart&cooley is the same manufacturer as Selkirk. The components are compatible with each other.
Thank you for the link! What is your opinion about the cut and bent part of the attic shield? Should I try to bend it back up, leave it, or what would you suggest?

Thank you for the link! What is your opinion about the cut and bent part of the attic shield? Should I try to bend it back up, leave it, or what would you suggest?
Considering you will know if insualtion will be added, I’d leave it alone. I have no idea what happened to it. It’s the correct part.

Google TLC chimney. It’s high end stuff, no reason to change it out.