Anybody burn Coal in a Heatmoor boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
My brother and I are thinking of burning coal in his Heatmoor boiler mostly in colder weather due to have a limited amount of wood ready this year. We have read online about mixing wood and coal, but this doesn't seem right to me. We can get coal somewhat locally for around $80 a ton. We have burned lots of wood in this boiler a long with other forced air furnaces and stoves but never coal. I would appreciate any advice on the subject thanks.

Is your Heatmor designed to burn coal? Your manual will have this information.

It might work. If you have the auger clean-out clinkers might be a pain. Mixing wood and coal is easier than going all out coal. I'd try a few lumps and gradually mix in as you learn.

I wasn't out at the shop today to check model but I believe its a 400DCSS which is rated to burn coal or wood. I did check the online manual for that model it recommends using a shaker grate ( we don't have) and changing some air baffles.

I wouldn't want to burn coal without shaker grates. You may be better off mixing it.