Anybody have experience with Englander 13-NC?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 3, 2017
Georgia
Screenshot_20190130-084908_Samsung Internet.jpg

That's the Englander 13-NC. Lowes sells it under the Summer's Heat brand. There are many folks here that have owned this stove. It's a good little heater.

Reactions: Dix
If you have to go cheap, not a bad choice, along with the Drolets. If you can spend money, spend some now.

I read some stuff on a warped door and stove body. It was a different model but same brand. Is that a common issue?
That problem is not this stove. It happened with their larger and newest model, the 50-SSW02. The 13-NC has been around for years and is time proven.

Last edited:
Members Dix and RickBlaine have this stove. I changed the title to attract a little more attention from other 13-NC owners.

*Jogs in* :)

Love my 13, it's a work horse. Plus is a lot of heat.

Downside... 5 hour burn, max, due to the smaller firebox. In my climate, not great. In your climate, you stand a much better chance.

Welcome to the forums !

I've had one for 3 years. My first stove. It likes 3 to 4" splits and lots of kindling to get it started. Have to clean it out every 3 days. Ash drawer is useless and will cause over fire due to added and unstoppable draft through the plug in the bottom. I never take the plug out so the gap stays filled up with ashes.

Before you bring it home, check the bottom of the door opening for flatness. Mine is bowed a little and takes a lot of down force on the handle to make the door seal well.

Read all the info here about wood. It all applies to this stove. It will take 4-5 sticks of wood depending on size. It's easy to over fire if wood is really dry, but I guess that's true for all stoves. Loaded burn time is about 4.5 - 5 hours. Using a large back log, I fill it up before I go to bed. In 7 hours it still has enough coal for restart.

It heats my 1400 sqft ranch home with no problem. You will need some way to move air through the house. On cold nights i use a 12" fan on low to move the heat to bedrooms down the hall.

The hearth requirements are overkill in my opinion. 13 requires R factor 2 on combustible floor. That's higher than most stoves.

If i had it to do over, I would get the 30 due to low burn time of the 13. You cant build a big fire in a little stove, but you can build a little fire in a big stove. And the 30 require 1.5 R factor.

Last edited:
I have been burning with one for 4 years. Its a strong little stove that puts out great heat. I have mine recessed into my old brick open fireplace so I don't really get all the heat I could be getting from it. But nevertheless it heats my 1,000sq house no problem. I do use the ceiling fans to try to move some of the air down the hall into the bed rooms. As stated above, never use the ash plug,or pan. Shovel out all the time. Its fairly easy to service , a few scews to pull the burn tubes out in the spring and then I run a poly brush from the top down my SS liner into the stove . I don't use the blower the stove came with due to the noise and also space limitation I have. It has a great glass viewing window in the front which really stays clean. I can get the stove up to 500 degrees within 20 minutes . burn time is roughly 5hrs. keep the air intake clear of ash in the front and it will cruise

Just installed one two days ago to replace a century s244. So far so good. -6 here this morning and was 76* in my house. Heats 1100 sq ft without any problems.

I have one, but it's the first winter with it, and my first stove. Have it in about 1500sq ft.
I'm mildly disappointed that I can't get an overnight burn, but then, I can't get an overnight nap, either. Puts out plenty of heat.
I'm still learning it, but I can have it hot and blazing in roughly 1/2hr, and make you want to leave the room in an hour or two, with less than ideal wood.
Still playing with how to spread the heat. Ceiling fan has proved best so far, but another idea in the works. The blower that comes with it did not impress, so it's not mounted or used.
It's in a double wide, so it's on the pedestal, and using outside air.
The hearth area does get real warm when it's good and hot.
Wall is cold.
So, i'd follow the floor recommendations.
I don't use the ash tray, still haven't figured out how the ash is supposed to all go out the corner, and re-distribute in the tray. So, Ash stays packed around the plug. I just scoop it out, when I think it needs done.

I was trying to get a decent (not bottom shelf) stove, without breaking the bank. Overall, i'm not disappointed.