Anybody OCD about keeping the hopper full of pellets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I top mine off maybe 3 times a day, even if it's only a little. I make sure I level the pellets off, too, since we all know they feed better that way…..
At least I can fondle them without getting slapped!

how many of you guys freak out and start crying when you see a empty hopper?

Attachments

• 2011-12-08_21-33-57_565.jpg
    2011-12-08_21-33-57_565.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 392
Holds 75 lbs. I top it up in the morning and again at midnight
before going to bed.

Okay next thing someone will have is a pellet pillow. I do admit to having a 'corn warmer' that is like a small pillow about half full of corn with a pillowcase type cover that after about 4 mins in the microwave is a super deep heating warming pad that lasts forever.

the pellet pillow wouldn't be too bad till it started crumbling. LOL

bigdaddyste said:

index.php

"the horror."

bigdaddyste said:

A clear case of neglect! Someone call "stove protective services" quick!!

St_Earl said:
bigdaddyste said:

index.php

"the horror."
Definitely not O C D, I think "stove protective services" would find it a "foster home"

A clear case of neglect! Someone call “stove protective services†quick!!

Oh sure, another government program we will have to pay for! There go pellet prices!

Waterbug said:
jhass said:
Just until I need glasses. Wait a minute I have to wear bifocals now :gulp:
We'll know it's epidemic, when they start to print Brail on pellett bags. :)

I thought that was what all the little holes in the bag where for.

bigdaddyste said:

I've never seen the bottom of my hopper............

kidding I empty it to clean it

....I don't know about fondling them, but the next time we entertain, I'd like to leave some out in a bowl with the chips and dip...hey! you nver know.......Bill

AW1223 said:
St_Earl said:
bigdaddyste said:

index.php

"the horror."
Definitely not O C D, I think "stove protective services" would find it a "foster home"
OCD about everything else just not filling it. Really the opposite. I love the anticipation of waiting to put another bag in. Like a slow torture wait and wait and wait and wait and wait, ok it is ready and I run to get a bag. Dump it in and it starts all over.

It's become apparent that "Pellet Stndrome" has several different manistifications. There are the "Keep it full/pellet smoothers" and the "Gotta dump a full baggers". First group craves frequent gradification, the second group is willing to delay gratification in anticipation of the maxumum rush.

bostonfan49 said:
....I don't know about fondling them, but the next time we entertain, I'd like to leave some out in a bowl with the chips and dip...hey! you nver know.......Bill
What kind of dip for hardwood?, what dip is socially acceptable for softwood or softwood/hardwood dip?

I would think that any dip that contains pine nuts would go well with softwood, but the flavors might clash in hardwood.

OMG, Pellet Pigitis, Empty Hopper Horror, pellet induced nigh sweats. EEEEEEEEK

Well we do keep a close watch on the hoppers around here.

Burning the nut shells as we do, this stuff does not slide/roll down the hopper like pellets do and needs to be tended every few hours.

We can fill the hoppers completely before we head for work 10 AM and the stoves will be fine until we get home around 7 PM.

We fill the hoppers when we get home, then again at bed time, then I handle it again at around 5-6 AM.

Hopper fixation is not a bad thing, at least its better than those who forget and run the thing dry.

Around here, the pellet stove is an integral part of daily life. Check the stove, head down stairs and screen out two 6 gallon pails of shells, fill the stove/s go to work, come home, fill the stoves, go back down, screen more shells, do it over again.

It't not until summer and the stoves are all cleaned and mothballed that much changes around here.

Our social life (eavening out) revolves around the length of time that we can be away from the stoves.

If we had to leave for a weekend during the winter, we could stuff the Quad full of Pellets and let it handle the heating duties.

A day in the life of a Pellet stove USER

There are Pellet stove owners who use the stove for the occasional ambience, then there are those who live and breathe Pellet stoves.

The totally ANAL, all caring, all concerned, stove checking, fussing, fiddling Pellet pig types.

Ohhhh yesssss, absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Reach back in history just a very short time and family life everywhere revolved around the fire.

When I was a youngster, mom cooked on a Wood RANGE in the kitchen. You have not lived until you have done a thanksgiving dinner from start to finish on a Wood Range.

During the winter months, the wood range was nice, not so in August.

Keeping the hopper full

Snowy

OMG, I went and fabricated a hopper extension(80lb+) that allows it to burn 2days and I still noticed that I keep checking the hopper several times a day.
I've even been known to level them out and smell the freshly opened bags, before pouring them in the hopper.

I can't bring myself to admit to having an obsession, with this pellet stove stuff. H E L P

I can't walk past the stove without checking the hopper and topping it off - not counting the 2X a day my 15 year old son has been tasked with feeding the stove. Madame Defarge thinks I am mad.

RKS130 said:
I can't walk past the stove without checking the hopper and topping it off - not counting the 2X a day my 15 year old son has been tasked with feeding the stove. Madame Defarge thinks I am mad.
There is a certain amount of madness/ obsession involved in being a dedicated pellet stove user. I catch myself trying to buy pellets in the summer, sometimes it works, not this year I had to wait until Sept.

I don't touch the stove if I don't have to. I fill it in the morning and fill it in the evening. Maybe scrape the pot once a week and shut it down 3 or 4 times a year to do an inside clean. Gives me more time to do the important things, like getting my plants ready for spring. I have 70 flats of annuals to plant that will be sprouting in about 6 weeks! Also will be starting 40 tomato plants and a whole slew of veggies. Love the country.

vettechick said:
I don't touch the stove if I don't have to. I fill it in the morning and fill it in the evening. Maybe scrape the pot once a week and shut it down 3 or 4 times a year to do an inside clean. Gives me more time to do the important things, like getting my plants ready for spring. I have 70 flats of annuals to plant that will be sprouting in about 6 weeks! Also will be starting 40 tomato plants and a whole slew of veggies. Love the country.

Get yourself a pressure canner, several hundred canning jars, many gallons of cider vinegar, and start buying spices by the pound and then you'll really love the country. Oh, you need some chickens of course. Nothing quite like composted chicken doo doo for the garden.

Oh the horror!!....................Must Fill Hopper!

Attachments

• Empty Hopper.jpg
    Empty Hopper.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 335
I love a full hopper and I am addicted to playing with my pellets.

Regards,

Jon

I'm always peeking at the hopper, my wife keeps telling me to get a life lol i also check out pellets when ever we find ourselves at a store.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Get yourself a pressure canner, several hundred canning jars, many gallons of cider vinegar, and start buying spices by the pound and then you'll really love the country. Oh, you need some chickens of course. Nothing quite like composted chicken doo doo for the garden.

I had to build a seperate closet, just for the wife's spice jars. Canned goods go in the basement. I was a little nervious the first time that she pressure canned meat, but I'm still alive and kicking. Use to have chickens, but got tires of feeding the local fox family. I'll knock off coons and possums but respect the foxes. They had a den and kits across a small ravine, that we could watch with binoculars from our upstairs windows. Momma fox had lost her left front paw in a trap or something, but still managed to raise a family. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.