Anyone haul wood with a riding mower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On level ground a lawn tractor will pull nicely for who knows how long. Up hills is a different story. What you'll unfortunately find out is you will be repairing little things all the time on that mower. But you will on any old mower. As long as you are handy, its a good tool. I couldn't do anything around here without mine. Mine is a garden tractor. Much different rear end. Made for pulling.
Oh nice 420. Just ordered a x738. Can't wait.

For over 20 years I've used this '75 JD 110 w/ 10HP Kohler & 40yr+ old dump trailer to bring wood in from the woods.Last model of the series & heaviest @775lbs w/o 38" mower deck. Built like a tank,I can routinely haul 500lbs+ in that trailer up the steep slopes on that 10 acres.Have pulled 1500lb log with ease on the few actual flat spots on the property.

4-5 loads equal full size p/u load with 8ft box.Plenty of power but lacks traction on these steep slopes when ground is muddy or icy.Can get in lots of tight spots that regular truck cant get close to....Works very well when ground is dry and/or without snow & ice.Thought about getting chains someday,but I get enough done when conditions are optimal.
It's unreal what those little JD's can pull. I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.