Anyone Have a Jotul F 100 Nordic? Do You Like It?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We have had 2 Vermont Castings Intrepid II's now for our 2nd year. The house is only 1700 Sq ft but the master bed, bath and closet is 24x32. One is in the living room and heats the rest of the house and the other is in the bedroom. I never heard anything about one not being allowed, the dealer installed it. We typically only use it on nights in the low 30s and under though or it gets quite warm.

We've had zero issues with it and we enjoy having it. I don't find the light bothersome or anything negative.

Thank you for your post. I am considering a Vermont Castings stove in my research and am glad you are happy with yours. I spoke to our county building department this morning and wood burning stoves are allowed in bedrooms here if they are installed according to manufacturer's recommendations and have been inspected by a county inspector. Your county must have a similar law.

The amount of heat that will travel from the bonus room thru the walk-in closet to the bedroom will depend on the openings between the rooms. If these doorways are large (say 4-6 ft), some heat will migrate. If they are conventional 36" or 30" doorways, then not as much. The bathroom may get the least amount of warmth if I have this all visualized correctly. A fan could make a big difference in heat getting into the bedroom, but that will not be operational in an extended power outage.

The Jotul F100 does not have the bedroom warning in the manual that their larger stoves do. The best thing to do is to contact the inspecting authority tomorrow and ask if there is a restriction on putting a wood stove in the bedroom. Then ask your insurance company. If both have no problem, then get it in writing.

Is this bed room on the main or second floor? Will there be a wood heated space below it in the event of a power outage? If yes that may help warm the bedroom.

I just spoke to a county building inspector and wood burning stoves are allowed in bedrooms here if they are installed according to manufacturer's recommendations and have been inspected by a county inspector. I haven't spoken to our insurance agent yet. Still, we've decided to put the stove in the bonus room. We do have standard door openings that may inhibit the heat getting to the bedroom, but if push comes to shove in an emergency situation, we'll put a mattress on the floor in the bonus room to stay warm. The bedroom/bonus rooms are on the second floor and there will be no other emergency heat except the very inefficient fireplace in the great room below so we don't even count that as heat. So. What stoves to all of you have who are happy with their choices? I'm looking at Vermont Castings, my husband is looking at Vogelzang Defender and Napoleon 1100CP. What is your opinion of steel plated as opposed to cast iron? Again, thank you all for your input. This is a very important purchase for us and we don't want to make a mistake. You've already given us several things to consider that we weren't aware of!

Of those three choices I would be considering the Napoleon. But I would also look at the Hampton H200, Jotul F3CB, F45 or Castine F400, Quadrafire Yosemite, Pacific Energy Alderlea T4, and Hearthstone Tribute. Another choice would be to go with a soapstone catalytic stove. The Woodstock Keystone is a popular stove.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I think cast iron is pretty. So is soapstone. Generally steel stoves are designed more for convective heat production which is preferred in your situation (getting heat to other rooms), but some cast iron stoves just have a cast iron "jacket" around a steel firebox that attains the "convective" preference.

The Napoleon is a fully shielded stove so it fits small spaces. That is the main reason I bought mine, I just didn't have room for a larger stove. If you install it in a bedroom make sure you have plenty of room in front of it. Even though side and back clearances are nice and tight it still needs to be at least 3 feet from flammables in front of the window. That includes your dressers, the laundry hamper and the way the bed coverings end up draped on the floor. The hearth is easy because it is just an ember protection hearth.

I think cast iron is pretty. So is soapstone. Generally steel stoves are designed more for convective heat production which is preferred in your situation (getting heat to other rooms), but some cast iron stoves just have a cast iron "jacket" around a steel firebox that attains the "convective" preference.

Yes, soapstone is beautiful and I prefer either it or cast iron. I haven't seen any steel stoves I would like to see in my home yet.

The Napoleon is a fully shielded stove so it fits small spaces. That is the main reason I bought mine, I just didn't have room for a larger stove. If you install it in a bedroom make sure you have plenty of room in front of it. Even though side and back clearances are nice and tight it still needs to be at least 3 feet from flammables in front of the window. That includes your dressers, the laundry hamper and the way the bed coverings end up draped on the floor. The hearth is easy because it is just an ember protection hearth.

We've decided to put the stove in the bonus room where there is a lot of room on all sides so size is only an issue as far as heating the rooms goes. Thank you for your post.

Does the bonus room have another significant opening to other parts of the house on the same floor? Is there a staircase going up from this room?

Of the three choices listed ... I would go for the Napoleon ... no question. That said ... Begreen has listed out several other alternatives ... some of which I like more than the Napoleon.

Of the three choices listed ... I would go for the Napoleon ... no question. That said ... Begreen has listed out several other alternatives ... some of which I like more than the Napoleon.

So that's two for the Napoleon. We really like the Vermont Castings Intrepid...it has all the features we want, but we'll take another look at the Napoleon. I do know it's well rated. I've found good reviews on VC too, so it seems we have to dig a little deeper on both stoves to make an informed decision. Thanks.

Does the bonus room have another significant opening to other parts of the house on the same floor? Is there a staircase going up from this room?

No stairway up and only a normal door opening to the hall and stairway which goes down from the bedroom.

The Intrepid II is a nice looking small stove, though definitely not for 24/7 burning like one would need in a power outage. It's also higher maintenance than the other stoves suggested.

The Intrepid II is a nice looking small stove, though definitely not for 24/7 burning like one would need in a power outage. It's also higher maintenance than the other stoves suggested.

Good to know. So I'm assuming the Napoleon would be suitable for 24/7 burning. We've spoken to three different sales reps at various stores and no one tells us the things we learned here. Thank goodness for these forums. Thanks

Do you have an idea how many feet (to ceiling plus attic) you have until you reach the roof? Since the area is upstairs I worry you may have trouble getting a tall enough chimney in. In that case, I would shy away from the Napoleon as those often need a taller flue and maybe go with an easier breathing stove like the PE T4.

Good point about the chimney height.

Do you have an idea how many feet (to ceiling plus attic) you have until you reach the roof? Since the area is upstairs I worry you may have trouble getting a tall enough chimney in. In that case, I would shy away from the Napoleon as those often need a taller flue and maybe go with an easier breathing stove like the PE T4.

The bonus room is over the garage and there is no attic above so it should be an easy straight up through the ceiling and to the roof.

Question: Is there more of a problem with soot/dirty glass and the chance of a chimney fire from low burning with a catalytic stove than one without? Or is the danger the same? Is it better to err on the side of a too small stove so there's no need for a low burn or a larger one where we might have to turn it down?

The chimney height is going to be important to the choice and functioning of the stove. Modern stoves need sufficient draft to function correctly. This usually means about 15ft of flue from the stove to the chimney cap. Some stoves are a bit more flexible about this requirement, others are not.

Just a thought but have you considered putting a much larger insert or freestanding stove in the poor fireplace downstairs instead?

The chimney height is going to be important to the choice and functioning of the stove. Modern stoves need sufficient draft to function correctly. This usually means about 15ft of flue from the stove to the chimney cap. Some stoves are a bit more flexible about this requirement, others are not.

Just a thought but have you considered putting a much larger insert or freestanding stove in the poor fireplace downstairs instead?

The great room downstairs has an 18 foot ceiling and above is a large loft/study area. Plus, I hate to give up the beautiful look of the stone fireplace. The stove seems to be our best option.

Some folks have both.

stove in stone 1.jpg stove in stone 2.jpg

Go with the great room, best all around for aesthetics, heat distribution, more stove options (for longer burn) etc. I am a bit biased towards the look of stoves retrofitted into existing hearths. Or maybe an insert? Is this a whole other discussion now? :eek:

Go with the great room, best all around for aesthetics, heat distribution, more stove options (for longer burn) etc. I am a bit biased towards the look of stoves retrofitted into existing hearths. Or maybe an insert? Is this a whole other discussion now? :eek:

We've decided on the bonus room. That will work best for us.

Is the loft study area connected to the upstairs bedroom or is this a
That doesn't look bad at all! But we're committed to the bonus room. We just had an installer here and he gave us a lot f good information. It will be an easy straight shot up through the roof in the bonus room. He likes Jotul, Vermont Castings and Napoleon.
How tall will the flue system be? How much pipe (stovepipe and chimney) did he estimate?