Anyone have this problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I regretfully had to decline this massive load of logs, mostly oak, I've way too much wood stacked and stored at this time , maybe 10 years worth.
I'm disappointed but such is life.

3wood.jpg

Dear God, look at that oak! Eighteen inch diameter and 15 feet long. I want it.

I just had to turn down a 2.5 cord red oak load, already bucked up. Shed is full (I am waiting to cut down one more line to fill the last stack)....

Dear God, look at that oak! Eighteen inch diameter and 15 feet long. I want it.
If you were up here you'd get it, I believe a mulch maker took it. Made lots of connections with tree service companies being in LE, probably never be a shortage for me.

Yes, I've been having to turn stuff down for a while now...its ok though, my new meds have the twitching well under control now...

Actually been somewhat slim pickin's around here. I caught a "free wood - come get my 2 truckloads of hedge" ad on craigslist in Feb of '20 and that's about the last I've seen. Before that, every 3-4 months there would be someone on there with free wood and I'd be hauling it by the truckload.

Past 6-8 months best I've seen is "Come cut my tree down, and pay me $200 for that privilege" I'm tempted to answer the ad, play a bit dumb, and tell him I'd need at least $300 for the job!

Reactions: brenndatomu
I live in area with lots of older trees coming down pretty steadily now for the past 4-5 years. They unfortunately are all really old and really large. Not easy to process. I also had a hundred year maple I have been working on that came down on my lot so I haven't been "looking" much.

Every November we have had nasty ice storms bringing big trees down. We have a very large oak that up and died just recently that we need to have someone take down. While they are doing that we are going to have them take down a hickory at the side of the house that is starting to hang over the house. We are not looking forward to processing the wood. We have very little flat land here. In the first pic it's hard to tell but the land is very sloped there. Processing that wood was very hard. We lost a few rounds when they went rolling down the hill and ended up at the very bottom and around to the right. We also had no clue what we were doing as this was our first time we have ever had a wood stove and have had to cut big rounds of wood like that. The 3rd pic is a tree that came down during the second ice storm we had here. It fell right behind where our wood is stored. We cut rounds and rolled them right to our wood pile area. We are not full time burners so I think once we take down the oak and hickory and let it season we will be good on wood.

IMG_3776.jpg IMG_2873.jpg IMG_4530.jpg

I do not have this problem and i too live in NE portion of ohio... thats some nice wood for a mulching company to get

had to decline this massive load of log...I'm disappointed but such is life.
Yeah, you hate to pass on those straight sticks, ready to be bucked with no branch trash to deal with.
I just had to turn down a 2.5 cord red oak load, already bucked
That's even better...providing it's the right length, which is unlikely unless you have a big stove that handles long cuts.
I'm dealing with a White Ash scrounge score right now, a few dying trees the owner had cut down, the biggest yielding some 32"+ rounds. Unfortunately, there's a bunch of "tree man chunks," almost none cut the 16" long that I like for the stoves that I'm feeding. :(
Ya take what ya get on these scrounges; A mess of re-cutting, and a bunch of short chunks left from bucking to length, and sticking your chain in the dirt and dulling it. <>
When I approached the owner, he said he was calling the tree guy back to cut some of the logs they left. I told him to have them cut it to 16". I shoulda just said that I would buck those, because almost none are 16.

Last edited:
I just had to turn down a 2.5 cord red oak load, already bucked up. Shed is full (I am waiting to cut down one more line to fill the last stack)....
Bucked red oak, out of the woods. Doesn't get better than that. You got to get while the gettin's good.

How does one get connected to sources of wood like that?
I've worked in a community the last 21 years as a LE officer, I see many tree companies especially after high winds and storms, I got to know many of them, most ARE not in the firewood business, they must dump the wood, and that costs $.The connections have payed off, they dump the wood at my house, I always pay them something , I insist. Six tri axle loads of oak and hickory and walnut this April set me up a decade ,I paid $100 just fuel costs to drive 6 trips combined total 30 miles. Hustle around you'll score eventually.

I've worked in a community the last 21 years as a LE officer, I see many tree companies especially after high winds and storms, I got to know many of them, most ARE not in the firewood business, they must dump the wood, and that costs $.The connections have payed off, they dump the wood at my house, I always pay them something , I insist. Six tri axle loads of oak and hickory and walnut this April set me up a decade ,I paid $100 just fuel costs to drive 6 trips combined total 30 miles. Hustle around you'll score eventually.

Thanks for the feedback.

When I approached the owner, he said he was calling the tree guy back to cut some of the logs they left. I told him to have them cut it to 16". I shoulda just said that I would buck those, because almost none are 16.
I always laugh when I hear this, makes me think there's a lot of disappointed girlfriends with there poor measuring skills.

• Haha
Reactions: D8Chumley
I regretfully had to decline this massive load of logs, mostly oak, I've way too much wood stacked and stored at this time , maybe 10 years worth.
I'm disappointed but such is life.

View attachment 282333
Yep, been there, it hurts to turn it away......I actually had to put a sign on the end of my driveway "No more Wood", it just kept coming:eek:

They can drop that load off at my house! I would probably mill those logs before burning them.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I have looked high, and I have looked low...and I can not find nor know of anyone with that problem. Sorry about your luck....
I have the same problem.

I just gave away this load of Black Walnut, Hackberry and Sweet Gum: I simply don't have anymore room for firewood!

ao22gcY.jpg

Between my pole barn, two woodsheds and one 12x12' shed, I have exactly one 3 cord bay open. That has to hold all of this White Oak:

zbNlH9V.jpg

Reactions: Rusty18
Yeah, you hate to pass on those straight sticks, ready to be bucked with no branch trash to deal with.

That's even better...providing it's the right length, which is unlikely unless you have a big stove that handles long cuts.
I'm dealing with a White Ash scrounge score right now, a few dying trees the owner had cut down, the biggest yielding some 32"+ rounds. Unfortunately, there's a bunch of "tree man chunks," almost none cut the 16" long that I like for the stoves that I'm feeding. :(
Ya take what ya get on these scrounges; A mess of re-cutting, and a bunch of short chunks left from bucking to length, and sticking your chain in the dirt and dulling it. <>

I often end up with getting bucked wood that's bucked shorter than I'd like...

I have the same problem.

I just gave away this load of Black Walnut, Hackberry and Sweet Gum: I simply don't have anymore room for firewood!

ao22gcY.jpg

Between my pole barn, two woodsheds and one 12x12' shed, I have exactly one 3 cord bay open. That has to hold all of this White Oak:

zbNlH9V.jpg
Looks good, and nice looking equipment, and view.