Anyone here ever owned a coffee shop?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You should look for a part time job at a coffee shop first, to see if you would like it and learn how it works. I have tried to switch careers a couple of times and I always come back to what I was doing before. Over the years I have come to realize I am good at it, and I make good money doing it. I still try other things on the side, but I have learned to appreciate the job that pays the bills.

If you really want to try it, consider the cost of buying into a coffee shop business that needs a partner, versus the cost of opening your own shop from scratch. And only invest what you can and are willing to lose. There is a very good chance you will go back to doing what you were doing.

Thanks for this. Good advice that I will keep in mind!
-SF

That is great real world advice.

On switching careers.....
I moved from running big manufacturing organizations (hundreds of millions every year, hundreds of employees) to a single, stand alone outside sales engineer position. I took a major pay cut to build a sales territory and haven't ever been happier. My life is just plain better. I'm healthier. I get more time with my family and my company is amazing.
Even with 2 kids, a stay at home wife, and a nice house, we are doing just fine, because I have always lived below my means. This affords me the luxury to NOT be a slave from paycheck to paycheck, but to explore different opportunities that are more rewarding. I get flack from everyone of my friends for this...they think i should be making lots of money doing what my previous career path told me to do, not what I want to do.

So..the advice of a 40 yr old who has been working for 25 yrs.....
Live below your means.
Keep cash on hand.
If you have a passion and need a change...you MUST explore it. This is what life is about.

No matter what anyone tells you....there is always a market for good products. Good products are made by people who are passionate about what they do. If you can combine passion with general common sense and a hit of fiscal responsibility/business sense...you can be unstoppable.

Sounds familiar. I turn 41 in a few weeks. My wife and I do a good job living below our means. I have a great tech job that pays quite well, but I'm looking to do something completely different. I'm not sure I'd say that I'm passionate about doing what I'm doing these days, and would like to have more time and mental energy for my family. Hopefully I can come up with a good idea that aligns my interests with my work and lets me build a family business at the same time.

-SF

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Sounds familiar. I turn 41 in a few weeks. My wife and I do a good job living below our means. I have a great tech job that pays quite well, but I'm looking to do something completely different. I'm not sure I'd say that I'm passionate about doing what I'm doing these days, and would like to have more time and mental energy for my family. Hopefully I can come up with a good idea that aligns my interests with my work and lets me build a family business at the same time.

-SF
I understand how you feel about this. I knew from the start I'd be worn out from the corporate grind well before I hit 50. You know what happens to the milk if you keep it in the fridge too long. It's good to recognize that it's coming and figure out your next steps.

Any chance your company would allow a sabbatical? I think they are useful to make sure you don't just need a long break. Even doing something that you are passionate about, in repetition for 20 years, coupled with corporate grind (ah, the annual and semi-annual reviews and endless stream of meetings), can make one very weary.

Good luck figuring this out and keep us posted.

Reactions: sloeffle
i have a very good friend who recently opened up a coffee shop/bike shop combo. He has been loving being an active part of the community. He just recently opened a second shop, and is doing quite well. In the winter, they also do ski and snowboard tunes.

I have another friend who owned a mountain town coffee shop for years, but found it very hard to make a decent and sustainable living. she sold the coffee shop and bought a bar.

Another friend in a different mountain town owns a boutique coffee shop between a dunkin donuts, a mcdonalds, and a starbucks (when i say middle, i mean, equidistant within walking distance). She uses her coffee shop as a community hub, with a focus on community service and volunteer opportunties. She is on the board of education for her city as well as the state.

As with anything, it is about the experience that you are giving your customers, and getting people to come in. Find your niche.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
How about hi end coffee and a gourmet deli like Katzingers down in Columbus.
Big leather couches wood stove etc,, I say go for it your in a good area for it.

Ps I have a Main street business 17 loooong years.

How about hi end coffee and a gourmet deli like Katzingers down in Columbus.
Big leather couches wood stove etc,, I say go for it your in a good area for it.

Ps I have a Main street business 17 loooong years.

I’ll have to check out Katzingers. I’ve heard of them but have never been there.

I’ve kicked around the idea of also doing personal sized desert pies instead of just muffins and bagels. Possibly pot pies for lunch too.

Want to go for a rustic cabin/lodge feel.

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I understand how you feel about this. I knew from the start I'd be worn out from the corporate grind well before I hit 50. You know what happens to the milk if you keep it in the fridge too long. It's good to recognize that it's coming and figure out your next steps.

Any chance your company would allow a sabbatical? I think they are useful to make sure you don't just need a long break. Even doing something that you are passionate about, in repetition for 20 years, coupled with corporate grind (ah, the annual and semi-annual reviews and endless stream of meetings), can make one very weary.

Good luck figuring this out and keep us posted.
I completely shifted my career at 40. No looking back. Happier than ever!

You like beer? A bar of liquor store is a guaranteed money maker, coffee is tough with the starbucks on every corner, there was a small coffee shop in town I used to go to all the time, for the owners it was part time as they had other jobs, maybe you can start something with a partner and keep working and see how things go.

You like beer? A bar of liquor store is a guaranteed money maker, coffee is tough with the starbucks on every corner, there was a small coffee shop in town I used to go to all the time, for the owners it was part time as they had other jobs, maybe you can start something with a partner and keep working and see how things go.

Yes! I have been home brewing with a friend of mine since 2010 or so. We brew all grain and have had really good results. We have considered starting a brewery as another alternative to the coffee shop idea.

-SF

there is nothing wrong with coffee stouts! Issues with breweries are they are significantly more costly and time consuming, as you have to deal with ATF

there is nothing wrong with coffee stouts! Issues with breweries are they are significantly more costly and time consuming, as you have to deal with ATF

Yup. On if the big reasons that I thought the coffee shop idea might be better. Another friend of mine owns a brewery already. It’s a lot of work, a lot more capital, and a lot more compliance, than a coffee shop, for sure!

-SF