Anyone in Wisconsin????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i plan on having Warming Trends do my yearly cleaning next spring. they are about a half hour from me.

Another southwest Wisconsinite here. We live south of LaCrosse and purchased our XXV from Warming Trends in Onalaska in 2006. Have been very happy with the stove and the store's service. Had a few problems with the stove but was taken care of by the store and warranty. I have them do the annual cleaning also. We purchase our pellets from them during their early buy. Only one time did we have a problem with the pellets being moist and we took them back and exchanged for something else.

Burned a pallet of Risley since the season started (admittedly, many days I didn't need them, even had the windows open, but I had to play with my new toy early in the season!), and am starting on a pallet of Marth. I must have gotten a good batch, because I have no complaints. The seem to burn as hot or hotter. I've actually got a thermometer set up now and recording the temps at certain settings. Have 2 bags of Risley left, I will compare those to. Marth were cheaper per ton. Seems like it ashes up more often with the Marth, but I don't mind cleaning it. And that probably isn't a fair comparison, since the Risley pallet was a "shoulder" pallet, since I had it at lower settings more frequently, therefor wouldn't need to clean it as often. Still can't get my hands on any Uncle Jeds. My local feed store is really the only non-corporate dealer, which is where I got the Risley's. Maybe I will mention it to him, and see if he can get any.

longlivethejeep said:
Burned a pallet of Risley since the season started (admittedly, many days I didn't need them, even had the windows open, but I had to play with my new toy early in the season!), and am starting on a pallet of Marth. I must have gotten a good batch, because I have no complaints. The seem to burn as hot or hotter. I've actually got a thermometer set up now and recording the temps at certain settings. Have 2 bags of Risley left, I will compare those to. Marth were cheaper per ton. Seems like it ashes up more often with the Marth, but I don't mind cleaning it. And that probably isn't a fair comparison, since the Risley pallet was a "shoulder" pallet, since I had it at lower settings more frequently, therefor wouldn't need to clean it as often. Still can't get my hands on any Uncle Jeds. My local feed store is really the only non-corporate dealer, which is where I got the Risley's. Maybe I will mention it to him, and see if he can get any.

Marth hardwood or softwood? whats the bag color?

warming trends said its about $125 for a yearly cleaning? how long does it usually take? does anyone have a insert that they have cleaned?

rudy426 said:
Mill's Fleet Farm in Winona had Marth Super Premiums on sale last week. $4.69 a bag or $229 a ton.

Another Wiscony here. Run almost a full pallet of indeck and didn't like them one bit. Picked up a few bags of the marth super premiums and they've done way better. But still not getting the heat out of my cheapo Pelpro stove. I'm starting to understand why I got it so cheap used, looking for a better stove now!

picked up a couple bags of marth and lumber jack pellets from farm and fleet. didnt like the lumber jacks and the marths are the same
as the pennywise i had burned before. i like the Marth's the best so far...really good heat and the ash seems to clean up really easy unlike
the indeck's that leave a real dark brown film on the glass that needs alot of elbow grease to remove.

what kind of stang do you have stang302? i have two in the garage right now :)

DemonGT said:
picked up a couple bags of marth and lumber jack pellets from farm and fleet. didnt like the lumber jacks and the marths are the same
as the pennywise i had burned before. i like the Marth's the best so far...really good heat and the ash seems to clean up really easy unlike
the indeck's that leave a real dark brown film on the glass that needs alot of elbow grease to remove.

The last one I had was an 89 LX notch 5.0 5spd. But sold it this summer. I'll have one again soon I hope.

My old man is a fan of pennywise and are made by Marth. I try'd some and they did work a little bit better than Indeck. But not as well as the marth SP in my stove. They also have a different color and texture to them so I don't think there a copy of one another. Keeping my eye out for other brands in the area to try out. But in this crap stove i may just stick with marth SP's.

You guys that are burning Marth hardwoods will think you've died and gone to heaven if you ever start using a GOOD pellet!!!

krooser said:
You guys that are burning Marth hardwoods will think you've died and gone to heaven if you ever start using a GOOD pellet!!!

Agreed.

krooser said:

indeck, marth and jumber jack is all i can find around here. there are a couple fireplace/pellet stove businesses that have a couple other brands but they cost more.

so they may not be the best but there the best NOT good pellet i can find :)

Everyone who has real options in Pellets say Marth are crap. BUT, for us who don't have much choice without driving 60 miles (and spending another $30 in gas); Marth seem to be the best of the worst.

For those having alot of dirty glass, I think if you tweak your air intake settings, that may solve that. I've been playing with the settings, and it seems like the glass buildup changes with the air settings.

Everyone who has real options in Pellets say Marth are crap.
I was able to get some Marths a while back. Not a bad pellet compared to the junk they try to sell us over here! I'll gladly burn some again with a smile even! ;-)

j-takeman said:
I was able to get some Marths a while back. Not a bad pellet compared to the junk they try to sell us over here! I'll gladly burn some again with a smile even! ;-)

Everybody has their own set of standards....

smoke show said:
j-takeman said:

Everybody has their own set of standards....

Like I said before, If Marth are considered junk? I want to see some of your best! WOW pellets "Blazers" rocked in my stove and thats not you best from what I hear!

STANG302 said:
DemonGT said:

The last one I had was an 89 LX notch 5.0 5spd. But sold it this summer. I'll have one again soon I hope.

My old man is a fan of pennywise and are made by Marth. I try'd some and they did work a little bit better than Indeck. But not as well as the marth SP in my stove. They also have a different color and texture to them so I don't think there a copy of one another. Keeping my eye out for other brands in the area to try out. But in this crap stove i may just stick with marth SP's.

nice, i have a 91 GT and a 89 GT right now. 91 has a 410 stroker and the 89 has a 306 with all trick flow stuff.

P.S. 89 is for sale :)

Well that's a good question. What are the best pellets you can buy now in WI/MN?

Parents use Pennywise, I've try'd them also along with indeck and marth super premium (pine). The math super premium work the best and kick out the most heat in my cheapo Pelpro stove. I have not try'd the Marth hardwood pellets. These are the only brands I've been able to find locally (twin cities area).

The pelpro has been unreliable at best. Luckily I found a quadra fire santa fe used this week and picked it up. It has been neglected and needed new door and glass gaskets right of the bat. Will be pulling everything apart this weekend and giving it a once over and as soon as the new gaskets get here I'll swap out the pelpro. Hopefully this will be more reliable and kick out better heat than my current pos.

STANG302 said:
Well that's a good question. What are the best pellets you can buy now in WI/MN?

Parents use Pennywise, I've try'd them also along with indeck and marth super premium (pine). The math super premium work the best and kick out the most heat in my cheapo Pelpro stove. I have not try'd the Marth hardwood pellets. These are the only brands I've been able to find locally (twin cities area).

The pelpro has been unreliable at best. Luckily I found a quadra fire santa fe used this week and picked it up. It has been neglected and needed new door and glass gaskets right of the bat. Will be pulling everything apart this weekend and giving it a once over and as soon as the new gaskets get here I'll swap out the pelpro. Hopefully this will be more reliable and kick out better heat than my current pos.

If you can find a good douglas fir pellet you will be very happy... I use the house brand from Earth Sense in Dale.. too far for you to drive to get 'em though. They have about 1/4 of the ash of most pellets and burn pretty hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.