anyone know of a source in Maine for biobricks or enviblocks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbk2000

Nov 24, 2007
Coastal Maine
Has to be delivered. I found one place in Vermont but they want $500.00 pallet-delivered. I'll fire up the furnace before I pay that much. I've tried everywhere I can think of. Anyone? :cheese:

Damariscotta Hardware in Damariscotta has been selling Biobricks for $300 per pallet. They do deliver, but there is an extra per mile charge. Whether they have any left, I'm not sure. All the Finest Hearth stores - Yarmouth, Topsham and other locations - carry the product but do not offer delivery as far as I know. Again, I dn't know if they currently have any available. There are also plans in the works for a Biobick factory in Maine - possibly Augusta. If this should happen, availability and price should improve.

Is there a dealer for these in Maine with some in stock ? I would like to avoid a long drive if possible.

Thanks for any help, Frank

There is a lady in South portland who has 2 ton? of the bio bricks that she is trying to get rid of. She is listed in either uncle henrys or craigs list under a FIREWOOD search. She said they just aren't working out for her. Finest hearth and home in Portland and Yarmouth are dealers. I don't know what their availability is though.

I have called big fish a few times , they answered once and said they are out of stock, finest hearth said they are out and will not have any more this season. Thanks for the tip on craigslist.

O'Hara Ice Company has Envi Blocks Bio Bricks and other compressed wood products for sale
There number Biddeford 283-1003
Rockland 542-0834
Bangor 542-1859

O'Hara Ice company has Envi Blocks and bio brick and other compressed wood for sale also
Biddeford 283-1003
Rockland 542-0834
Bangor 542-1859

When I called them a month or so ago they wanted $400 a ton for Bio bricks, the Envi's were cheaper at around the 300 dollar range.

Any idea on how a ton of biobricks compares to cord wood......ie: 1 ton = 2 cord?

I do know that a ton of Envi Blocks are compares to a cord of silver maple at a 20% moisture content. The moisture content of envi blocks are around 5 % moisture

well these products arent for everyone but the benefit is that there are no bugs, very little moisture and very little creasote

compressedwoodsupplier said:
I do know that a ton of Envi Blocks are compares to a cord of silver maple at a 20% moisture content. The moisture content of envi blocks are around 5 % moisture

Thank you!

compressedwoodsupplier said:
well these products arent for everyone but the benefit is that there are no bugs, very little moisture and very little creasote

I would add that burnt correctly BioBricks burn longer, put out more consistent heat and burn cleaner than cordwood. This makes them a good alternative especially in urban areas.

Right now most of my wood is free, so it's kind of a moot point. But if I was living in Seattle and paying $300 a cord for NW softwood, a ton for $250 would be sweet.

I hear ya,250 is not a bad number but the crooks around here want $400 to $500 per ton now,sinful. I went through a couple tons
two seasons ago and my wife and I enjoyed the product. But since then these prices have put a bad taste in my mouth. Don

I think I'll stick with wood for now.

But as I get older/slower/lazier, I can foresee myself burning these.

Status
Not open for further replies.