Anyone recognize a Defiant Encore, or where do they hide the sticker?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreenMountain

Nov 5, 2017
Bozeman MT
I just picked up a Defiant Encore from a friend who's moving. It's in nice shape - clearly low hours. However, I don't see a sticker anywhere. Presumably I have to take the heat shields off the back to find the model number? Any intel much appreciated.

photo_2023-08-08_21-04-49.jpg photo_2023-08-08_21-04-41.jpg photo_2023-08-08_21-04-32.jpg photo_2023-08-08_21-04-23.jpg photo_2023-08-08_21-04-15.jpg

Is it a cat (2550) or non-cat (1450) version?

Not sure - I've had 3 older VC non-cats, but I'm not familiar with the Encore. There's a rectangular bulge in the firebox just below the damper that looks like it could hold a catalyst, but I'm not sure. Again I think I'll have to start taking shields off to see if there's an access panel.

Not sure - I've had 3 older VC non-cats, but I'm not familiar with the Encore. There's a rectangular bulge in the firebox just below the damper that looks like it could hold a catalyst, but I'm not sure. Again I think I'll have to start taking shields off to see if there's an access panel.
Just drive the 2 wedges up on either side and the back should come out. Most I have seen like that have been cats but there were noncats made as well

Cool - it looked like that might be the plan, but I didn't want to just go in hammering. Thanks.

If it is a catalytic version, guessing I'll need a new catalyst, because there are some partially-burned mac&cheese boxes in nice, bright colors in the firebox. Oops.

Cool - it looked like that might be the plan, but I didn't want to just go in hammering. Thanks.

If it is a catalytic version, guessing I'll need a new catalyst, because there are some partially-burned mac&cheese boxes in nice, bright colors in the firebox. Oops.

Im not sure if your using this for yourself, but if you are Id probably do some of the basic gaskets on the stove while you have the opportunity. Glass griddle doors ashpan.. and id take a really good look at the damper gasket as well

2550 cat stove