anyone still making Right Side load stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sep 23, 2021
Great Lakes
We have burned a jotul Elg for 38 years - its a R side load and the chimney and house were built with that set up in mind, therefor as we move into new woodburning technology we are hoping for a R side load, but it seems impossible to find. The only one I have found is the Woodtock Progress which gives options or R or L side door. There are Jotuls with door on Left, but we are having a very hard time finding a big stove with a R side load door. House is 3500 Sq ft - open concept with freestanding stove in the center house with ceiling open 2nd floor. Still learning about cat Vs Non cat. If you know of a good Right side load, please inform - much appreciated.

The Jotul F600 had a right-side load door, but Jotul discontinued sales of this model in the US in 2020. The Hearthstone Manchester is left side load. Have you looked at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid? Have you considered any large front loading stoves instead?

Thanks for all your input and time @begreen - this is a big change after 41 years and a lot new technology to lear n- cat/no cat/ standing pipe liner/Flexible/ remove clay liner/ run flex down liner and what stove? Yikes Here is our set up in pic below.

Situation - Beneath the stone are 3 chimneys and the wood bin2 - block chimneys together on Left (facing), bin, then another unused block chimney with clay liner used for maybe half a year on Right - we had a lovely old Kalamazoo wood kitchen stove with the copper water bin and warming ovens - it was sweet. The leftmost chimney has dry-staked clay liner I know has cracks and who knows condition of block - we clean 1-2 X year only and have creosote smell when its damp - no rain cap(!) - the other 2 have rain caps - not sure why... We burn 8 mos/year - windy lake effect by Great Lakes region - In winter we burn constant and go through that full wood bin in a week.
IMG_3218.JPG
Options -
1)
wait til December when Sweep is scheduled to inspect then decide on relining with stack pipe or flex, get new baffles for the Elg and soldier on - preferred by the wood manager in the house and he wants stack pipe.
2) reline the chimney and find a stove that will have a R side load - front view will be nice feature of new stove, but that side load is rather critical. Then soapstone, hybrid, cat, no cat - how will all these function with our chimney set-up?
3) Its a big change so why not go big - it will be our last stove - get a nice front loader and tuck it in the wood storage place between the chimneys and connect it to the chimney on the Right (facing) that has hardly been used, probably with a new liner, as well. The storage bin is gouged stucco and needs a refinish anyway - I suspect a fine mason could put a concrete shelf across and we could store a little wood above the stove in the arch (all non-combustible surface). I suspect with a newer stove we won't go through that whole bin of wood in a week any longer and maybe we can stop the high loaded wheel barrow from coming through the front door ;) and across rugs....

What's your vote, my WoodFriends?

Did you look at the Woodstock Progress hybrid stove? That would work. Otherwise I would go for a front loader. My preference is a KISS design stove for low maintenance and long life due to minimal wearing parts. Look at the Jotul F55 Carabansett for one and the PE Alderlea T6 for another and ask about availability. Inventory is low this year.

Did you look at the Woodstock Progress hybrid stove? That would work. Otherwise I would go for a front loader. My preference is a KISS design stove for low maintenance and long life due to minimal wearing parts. Look at the Jotul F55 Carabansett for one and the PE Alderlea T6 for another and ask about availability. Inventory is low this year.
Update: Chimney clean and inspect today - Evidence of some fires as the clay liners are cracked (we suspected so after running the Moose pretty hot for 30+ years). They will break up clay liner and add SS liner with poured insulation - but not until February.... In the meantime we will hook up an old Jotul 602 just to take the chill off. CSweep thought that would be ok until we get the new chimney and new stove and perhaps an insurance assist could happen, which we never even iagined - would be huge. Boy, its been really hard NOT to having a fire going this year - hub is hauling the 602 into the house as we speak and will then cut some wood to fit that tiny stove - From Moose to 602, but taking the chill out while we wait for the chimney & new stove is preferred.

Which stove? Really need Right side load, so it will likely be the Woodstock Progress Hybrid although hub isn't so sold on the catalytic piece. Jotul OSLO an option, but can you still get a R side door, or only left? Will continue searching this fantastic forum.

People seem to love or hate soapstone, but my stove comes in both left and right hand door configurations (Hearthstone Heritage 8024):

Reactions: WarmerWithWood
Update: Chimney clean and inspect today - Evidence of some fires as the clay liners are cracked (we suspected so after running the Moose pretty hot for 30+ years). They will break up clay liner and add SS liner with poured insulation - but not until February.... In the meantime we will hook up an old Jotul 602 just to take the chill off. CSweep thought that would be ok until we get the new chimney and new stove and perhaps an insurance assist could happen, which we never even iagined - would be huge. Boy, its been really hard NOT to having a fire going this year - hub is hauling the 602 into the house as we speak and will then cut some wood to fit that tiny stove - From Moose to 602, but taking the chill out while we wait for the chimney & new stove is preferred.

Which stove? Really need Right side load, so it will likely be the Woodstock Progress Hybrid although hub isn't so sold on the catalytic piece. Jotul OSLO an option, but can you still get a R side door, or only left? Will continue searching this fantastic forum.
The Oslo is only left-side loading. Their F600 was right-sided if you can find a good used one.
Hearthstones now are hybrids, with a cat.

Thanks for all your input and time @begreen - this is a big change after 41 years and a lot new technology to lear n- cat/no cat/ standing pipe liner/Flexible/ remove clay liner/ run flex down liner and what stove? Yikes Here is our set up in pic below.

Situation - Beneath the stone are 3 chimneys and the wood bin2 - block chimneys together on Left (facing), bin, then another unused block chimney with clay liner used for maybe half a year on Right - we had a lovely old Kalamazoo wood kitchen stove with the copper water bin and warming ovens - it was sweet. The leftmost chimney has dry-staked clay liner I know has cracks and who knows condition of block - we clean 1-2 X year only and have creosote smell when its damp - no rain cap(!) - the other 2 have rain caps - not sure why... We burn 8 mos/year - windy lake effect by Great Lakes region - In winter we burn constant and go through that full wood bin in a week.
View attachment 283015
Options -
1)
wait til December when Sweep is scheduled to inspect then decide on relining with stack pipe or flex, get new baffles for the Elg and soldier on - preferred by the wood manager in the house and he wants stack pipe.
2) reline the chimney and find a stove that will have a R side load - front view will be nice feature of new stove, but that side load is rather critical. Then soapstone, hybrid, cat, no cat - how will all these function with our chimney set-up?
3) Its a big change so why not go big - it will be our last stove - get a nice front loader and tuck it in the wood storage place between the chimneys and connect it to the chimney on the Right (facing) that has hardly been used, probably with a new liner, as well. The storage bin is gouged stucco and needs a refinish anyway - I suspect a fine mason could put a concrete shelf across and we could store a little wood above the stove in the arch (all non-combustible surface). I suspect with a newer stove we won't go through that whole bin of wood in a week any longer and maybe we can stop the high loaded wheel barrow from coming through the front door ;) and across rugs....

What's your vote, my WoodFriends?

Update on Jotul 121 replacement: Very long winter with no stove. Progress Hybrid finally here and indtalled today, a very hot day in June. Everything about this acquisition has been a pricey challenge - 812# nmy friends - figuring out getting it here was not easy - shipped to the closest loading dock, hi lo put it on our trailer on a heavy duty low dolly tied in place. Ramps from trailer to sidewalk to front stoop, over 2 thresholds , then 4 bug guys and 4 house jacks to get it out of crate and in place - some clever engineering. So, here is the beast, ready to roll.

4E9366D4-2591-4030-85C0-4AC997AA49AB.jpegE6A5BC51-228F-42E3-83C1-4DD26A95012B.jpeg

Looking good!