Anyone try this sharpener?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I'd be concerned about the file wiggling when you rotate it with as much lever as the handle provides

Looks like a copy of a timberline sharpener that was pretty popular about 10 years ago. The original cost about 125, people liked them. I'd get a Stihl 2 in 1 instead.

Wranglerstar did a review of the Timberline brand. I didn't see any brand on the link you gave. The Timberline is $120

Reactions: D8Chumley
Look into that website. Search vabetter scam or review
It's a scam. You will either get nothing for your money or some cheaply made junk.
"From the aforementioned realities of this site, it can be concluded that Vabetter is one of the suspicious websites."

Reactions: weatherguy
Agreed, for $40ish I like the Granberg better than all the previous sharpeners I’ve bought. The HF is ok for a rocked chain, I use the 2 in1 alot but if I have the time the Granberg is my go-to
I have the Granberg and Tecomec Deluxe jig and both have enough play in the whole setup to allow for some "English" on the angles, but the cutter length stays pretty consistent. Before I became proficient with my Tecomec Super Jolly grinder I was getting smoother milling cuts with my bar mounted jigs. Now that I'm good with the Super Jolly I won't ever go back.

I really like that guys videos. Not surprised at the results. If you have the patience, guys have always loved the Granbergs.

Spoiler alert - the 2 Granberg's for the win with the HF sharpener doing better than more expensive sharpeners.

I was pretty quick with the Granberg hand filing jig before moving on to the 12v Granberg electric grinder jig. Eventually I wanted something better than the bar mounted grinder and ended up finding a sale on Tecomec Super Jolly grinders and placed an order. The boards I'm making with my chainsaw mill are near finish quality.

I have the Granberg and Tecomec Deluxe jig and both have enough play in the whole setup to allow for some "English" on the angles, but the cutter length stays pretty consistent. Before I became proficient with my Tecomec Super Jolly grinder I was getting smoother milling cuts with my bar mounted jigs. Now that I'm good with the Super Jolly I won't ever go back.
I don’t sharpen chains enough to warrant a $300+ grinder. I’ll stick with the Granberg for now 😁

If you can find one, the Stihl FG2 is a great bench mount filing jig. I love mine. I do all my major filling with it and just hand file in the field for touch ups.

Reactions: SpaceBus