Anyone use these pipe shields?.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used 3 of the first type for my vertical run of single wall. The ends must be overlapped. If you overlap the ends, 2 of the holes in the outer shield will need to be re-drilled, since they would otherwise not align with the holes in the inner shield. It can be a bear holding the middle of the 3 ceramic insulators in place, so make sure that you always fit the middle one first. I like the tab idea on the second set of shields posted by Fossil. The tabs are more forgiving to work with than the ceramic standoff insulators.

In my case, one combustible wall is about 21" from the surface of the single wall, but the second closer wall is only 15" After my previous sucky experiences with single and double wall stovepipe, I went with Excel seam welded stovepipe and while it is certainly better made than the "snap together" stuff, all of my lengths were oval (flattened in the area of the seam weld). The good part about the Excel pipe is that they come in long lengths. I think I used a 36" length + the long adjustable length (40-70"). The fitup between the ends of the pipe is awesome, it goes together with no gaps and perfectly straight. Previously I used Duravent double wall in 2 ft lengths. I needed about 4-5 lengths with god knows how many screws, and despite laying it on the ground for assembly (to try to get it straight) it did not go together straight and it looked like crap.

I have the inspector coming tomorrow to sign off the install, so if that goes down well I will snap a few pictures to upload here of the first burn.

Yeah, that tab feature made it really easy, especially since I installed the shield after the stovepipe was up in place. Spacers would have been a PITA for anyone with fewer than three hands. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.