Anyone using an Englander 12-FP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nosaudioil

Hearth Supporter
May 26, 2008
coastal ME
Any input from anyone (still) using the smallest Englander 12-FP wood stove. The good and the bad would be appreciated.
I've installed a circa '04 12 FP in my cellar and I don't see this a very useful heater.

I have one and I love it. Why is it that you don't think it's a very useful heater? There are certainly more efficient stoves. They cost more. Customer service is excellent. They don't even make that stove anymore, though. Can you still buy it somewhere? If you are on a tight budget and that's the max you can go, then I'd get it. If you can squeeze a few more bucks out of your wallet, then I'd go with the 13...

edit. Nevermind. I didn't catch the "used" status of your stove. Did you replace another stove with this one? what are you heating with it?

Bought this 12FP on CL (cheap) and this is a "new" install for emergencies. I'm burning pellets in the living areas.

Door Gasket good? Glass gasket good? Bricks all ok? Check my other thread for how (you can probably figure it out on your own) to tighten up the air control. I have my ash tray full of ashes and I don't bother with it anymore. I think this probably helps seal the stove up a little bit more.

Does it look abused or have warped metal or a warped door? Remember this thing is only rated for about 1000 square feet.

Thanks for the info. The Englander 12-FP, that I just purchased, had been barely even used by the previous owner. The gaskets, bricks etc are all as the factory. It came with a blower as well.
How do you control the air? It seems that the stoves damper flue (only on/off) would only be good for having a ripping draft.

Maybe the older ones didn't have it, but the most recent ones did.

see that thingy right over the door? does your stove have that?

Attachments

• aircontrol.jpg
    aircontrol.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 12-fpllg.jpg
    12-fpllg.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 254
It takes a lot of wood stove and a long time to heat up a cellar. Most of the heat gets soaked up by the walls and passed straight to the dirt behind them.

Note : on air supply controls it takes a bit before the unit settles into the new setting when reducing the air flow. At least that is my experience on the 30nc I have. Works a little differently on my old stove as that had a separate control to direct the air flow to the secondaries as well as a primary air supply control. Even in the case of the old stove there is a time lag when changing settings from hi to low.

But with a woodstove in the cellar you'll get earlier flowers around the house!
Actually, I have insulated the concrete walls and rim joist area.
It's for emergency heat for the plumbing in the cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.