Apple Orchards

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbcijim

Mar 10, 2008
Schuylkill County, Pa
Just a tip.

I was in a meeting with Pennsylvania DEP this week, and they were telling me about all the apple orchard cleanups going on. I was very confused, thinking how can there pollution in an anpple orchard?

Apparently, one of the main pesticides was arsenic back in the day. Generally, 1' of soil is polluted with arsenic. The soil needs to be dug up and hauled to a soil burner at a cost of $100+ per ton.

So if you're considering purchasing a property, examine the soil first!

I had heard that apples just naturally carry arsenic. I believe in the seeds? Good to know it is an enviro issue though since I live near apple country and would love to own an orchard.

Often a large number of pesticides are used to grow apples. Organophosphate levels can be high for young children.

Apple seeds also contain cyanide, but not enough to do damage to humans.

That's funny you say that about the arsenic in seeds... A while back my Father-in-law who's a doctor commented while I was munching down an apple core that there was arsenic in the seeds. I figured he was razzing me since if it really was toxic he would probably encourage me to eat more for better health!

if you already own the a place like that, active charcoal may be alot cheepier

No, there's cyanide in the seeds (naturally). It's a tiny amount, that is not dangerous (not even to small children)

Cyanide is a neurotoxin, which is why if you eat a lot of apple seeds, your tongue will go numb

but it does not bio-accumulate, and if it doesn't kill you outright, you'll get all the way better (unlike some pesticides that were sprayed)

Status
Not open for further replies.