applewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good and great for smokin as well!

maxice said:
hey woodburners
just scored a cord of applewood
how good of a burn can i expect?

Welcome to the forum Maxice.

Apple is one of the best of the best for firewood. Get it cut and split as soon as possible. It will give you much heat.

My parents burned a lot of that in mexico said it was awesome to burn. Heard its fun to split though

You should season and sell it to smokers and not burn it for firewood. I paid $150 for a rank of it last smoking season and I was happy just to get it. When mixed with oak it is the perfect mixture. Just an idea for you to make some money. I would gladly trade twice the amount of seasoned oak for green apple. good luck

When you talk about apple wood being good to burn, does the same go for crab apple?

Yes. Even thorn apple, but thornapple really stinks.

Apple wood is great for smoking! Like geoxman said, i bet you could parley that apple for a bunch more burning wood. Your chain saw may spark a bit if your cutting.

Apple wood = good burning wood . . . and it smells nice when freshly split.

I just got a little bit of apple also. I put it in another post. I usually smoke with hickory. For the people that smoke with apple. Do you smoke with it green or let it season?

FireAnt said:
I just got a little bit of apple also. I put it in another post. I usually smoke with hickory. For the people that smoke with apple. Do you smoke with it green or let it season?

seasoned and I have mix the two together and done very well!

A neighbor of mine just offered me two apple trees he had cut down the other day. He burns pellets and he knows I'm a wood burner. The trees are quite old and have a bit of mistletoe growth. What's the recommended drying period for apple? Can I burn it next winter if I let it dry covered but in good sun?

drewmo said:
A neighbor of mine just offered me two apple trees he had cut down the other day. He burns pellets and he knows I'm a wood burner. The trees are quite old and have a bit of mistletoe growth. What's the recommended drying period for apple? Can I burn it next winter if I let it dry covered but in good sun?

small splits could be ready by Jan.

FireAnt said:

I am a stick burner and use no charcoal so all of my wood has to be dry. Hickory is over powering when using only wood for fuel..JMHO. Sassafras is also a nice wood with lighter meats as well as maple. good luck with your smoking! Tis the season

geoxman said:
FireAnt said:

I am a stick burner and use no charcoal so all of my wood has to be dry. Hickory is over powering when using only wood for fuel..JMHO. Sassafras is also a nice wood with lighter meats as well as maple. good luck with your smoking! Tis the season

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread with smoker talk and a pic, but CAN'T WAIT! Cutting, splitting and smoking! Now to get back on topic I will be splitting my load of apple apple soon...

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 195
Status
Not open for further replies.