Appling County Pellets or ACP better pellets than what was previously produced

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5339

Hearth Supporter
Jun 29, 2009
PA
Ash Content: 0.69%
BTU/LB: 8,640
Moisture Content: 5.67%

Results shown are an average of three separate tests conducted by an independent third party testing laboratory. Tests were conducted February 2009.

Speaking as a Dealer these are a great pellet. Due to the shortage last year we tried a number of differnt brands with little or no success. Before picking up this pellet, the mill did tell us they had some quality issues in the past, but have since then brought on a full time quailty team to ensure consistencies. We burned them in our showroom on Napoleon, Harman and Lopi stoves and they worked great. In fact it is all we burn now. It is 70% soft and 30% hard woods which is a different blend from what they had in the past and you can also see the BTU output is a substantially higher, up from 8200. Ash content is a little higer than a good hard wood pellet, but not by much. For those of you that had a bad experience I would strongly recommend giving them a second go and I think you will be pleased with the results. We have had our customers that burned them request them for our early buy. Long and short of it great pellet at a great price.

As the season moves on I would really like to hear your input. Good luck to all on the up coming season and keep warm!

tried them last year.. while we sold them all, they did not have positive feedback.. good to see they have gotten better!

Josh5339 said:

Results shown are an average of three separate tests conducted by an independent third party testing laboratory. Tests were conducted February 2009.

Speaking as a Dealer these are a great pellet. Due to the shortage last year we tried a number of differnt brands with little or no success. Before picking up this pellet, the mill did tell us they had some quality issues in the past, but have since then brought on a full time quailty team to ensure consistencies.

As the season moves on I would really like to hear your input. Good luck to all on the up coming season and keep warm!

Josh,

Are the test results and names of the "independent third party testing laboratory" posted somewhere? Because the pellets had such a terrible reputation it's to the benefit of APL and their business outlets like yourself to demonstrate the problems have been resolved.

Also, I note that you in Pennsylvania sell Harman stoves and that the Harman dealer in New Hampshire I bought my stove from also now sells APL. I wonder if there is a connection or just coincidence?

I should make it clear that I'm not in the business and I've taken delivery of my pellets for this year. There's so much of the Wild West or free-for-all in this pellet market that I find it entertaining to watch. That said, I also note how you have made substantially the same comment in two or three separate posts, which is of course perfectly OK to do.

Stentor said:
Josh5339 said:

Results shown are an average of three separate tests conducted by an independent third party testing laboratory. Tests were conducted February 2009........

Josh,

Are the test results and names of the "independent third party testing laboratory" posted somewhere? Because the pellets had such a terrible reputation it's to the benefit of APL and their business outlets like yourself to demonstrate the problems have been resolved......

Yes, I'd be interested in seeing the actual "independent third party testing laboratory" results myself. Names, dates, procedures followed, etc, etc. I'm sure that it won't be a problem providing them, correct?

can do. I will locate the testing and post asap. UPDATE: i did find the tests but I need to make sure there are no issues with me posting them first, can't see why there would be but i don't want a lawsuit lol

Josh,

Are the test results and names of the "independent third party testing laboratory" posted somewhere? Because the pellets had such a terrible reputation it's to the benefit of APL and their business outlets like yourself to demonstrate the problems have been resolved.

Also, I note that you in Pennsylvania sell Harman stoves and that the Harman dealer in New Hampshire I bought my stove from also now sells APL. I wonder if there is a connection or just coincidence?

I should make it clear that I'm not in the business and I've taken delivery of my pellets for this year. There's so much of the Wild West or free-for-all in this pellet market that I find it entertaining to watch. That said, I also note how you have made substantially the same comment in two or three separate posts, which is of course perfectly OK to do.[/quote]

not sure what you mean about my posts or the connection w/your Harman dealer other than the fact we have similar product. we asked ACP about their past quality and they were up front with us about it. I think it is only fair to give them a change to prove themselves. As a hearth shop we wouldn't carry them if they couldn't perform. as I also stated the ash content is higher. no doubt about it, but it still easily meets requirements for being a premium pellet. all I am saying is for that slight increase in ash it is worth the price. but hey if you want to spend $50 more per ton go ahead. :)

Josh5339 said:
....... we asked ACP about their past quality and they were up front with us about it. I think it is only fair to give them a change to prove themselves. As a hearth shop we wouldn't carry them if they couldn't perform. as I also stated the ash content is higher. no doubt about it, but it still easily meets requirements for being a premium pellet. all I am saying is for that slight increase in ash it is worth the price. but hey if you want to spend $50 more per ton go ahead. :)

Sorry if my questions upset you but it's important to be be able to back up statements with facts. I have no stake in the quality of your pellets; that's between you and your customers. You did say you'll post evidence of these "three independent lab" results. That should be of interest to people out your area because ACP is sold around here too. It looks strange that you were hesitant to post test results because you "didn't want to get sued" but were willing mention these same confidential results as reasons to buy the product. ;-)

Your math seems off to me. When I subtract $275 (ACP) from $295 (Northern, others), I come up with a $20 difference per ton, not the $50 you say. :roll: Those are not prices I've found, by the way. They were posted recently by someone else. Click on "Fuel Price Reports" at the top of your screen and select NH. You'll see prices from another Harman dealer. Maybe your prices are different. In fact, you might want to put in the name of your store and your pellets and prices.

I have to disagree. I tried the newer ACP pellets and they too are not worth buring in the stove. Yes, they do burn well and they put out good heat. Yeah you have to put up with more ash. The fact of the matter is when you go to clean your vent pipes and your exhaust blower motor you'll see a heavy greasey build-up. If I burned more then the 4 bags I purchased to try, I am sure I could of damaged my stove. I burned 3 tons of Counrty Boy Hardwood Pellets and barely had to clean my stove. For the $20-$30 dollar difference in price per ton. I sure would like to preserve my $3000 investment.

Sorry if my questions upset you but it's important to be be able to back up statements with facts. I have no stake in the quality of your pellets; that's between you and your customers. You did say you'll post evidence of these "three independent lab" results. That should be of interest to people out your area because ACP is sold around here too. It looks strange that you were hesitant to post test results because you "didn't want to get sued" but were willing mention these same confidential results as reasons to buy the product. ;-)

Your math seems off to me. When I subtract $275 (ACP) from $295 (Northern, others), I come up with a $20 difference per ton, not the $50 you say. :roll: Those are not prices I've found, by the way. They were posted recently by someone else. Click on "Fuel Price Reports" at the top of your screen and select NH. You'll see prices from another Harman dealer. Maybe your prices are different. In fact, you might want to put in the name of your store and your pellets and prices.[/quote]

No offence taken. i understand 100% the need for as many facts as possible. the information i posted was an average of the 3 tests conducted, however i do not know if the lab who conducted tests or the 3 individual tests themselves are confidential. i can't imagine why it would be but as i said i don't need my butt getting sued lol.
please forgive my ignorance in regard to the $50 price difference. Pellets here are going for as high as $289 preseason and we sell ours for $241. i should have specified that it was our area i was referring to and that it was $48 instead of $50. :D just giving you a hard time

Medreach said:
I have to disagree. I tried the newer ACP pellets and they too are not worth buring in the stove. Yes, they do burn well and they put out good heat. Yeah you have to put up with more ash. The fact of the matter is when you go to clean your vent pipes and your exhaust blower motor you'll see a heavy greasey build-up. If I burned more then the 4 bags I purchased to try, I am sure I could of damaged my stove. I burned 3 tons of Counrty Boy Hardwood Pellets and barely had to clean my stove. For the $20-$30 dollar difference in price per ton. I sure would like to preserve my $3000 investment.

i would agree with your overall statment about preserving your $3000 investment, but considering they have only just recently changed their mixture i think you might be burning their old mix. considering you only burned 4 bags are you sure that the build-up wasn't already there?we burned them in all our pellet stoves and 2 of the owners were burning them in their stoves at home. our service tech found no greasey build-up in the owners stoves or in the stoves we burn at the shop. considering we probably burned 3 ton between all those stoves and found no build up i am extremely suprised that 4 bags could do that. I can only say this is true for Harman, Napoleon and Lopi since those are the stoves we sell and burn regularly. we have found that the ash is very light and easily removed. we also have had no clinkers and no greasy build-up. either they burn differntly in your stove, you had the old mix or the build-up was already there. based on my experience burning them i just can't see 4 bags doing that. this will be our first full season burning them, so if any issues do arise i will be sure to let everyone know.

Josh5339 said:
can do. I will locate the testing and post asap. UPDATE: i did find the tests but I need to make sure there are no issues with me posting them first, can't see why there would be but i don't want a lawsuit lol

Josh, first of all, no offense, but unless your willing to post the person/company that asked for the "independent test results" that YOU brought up, AND the names of the lab(s) doing the testing (along with a way to verify where you obtained that info ie: web link, newspaper article, trade publication link, etc), you basically have made the members here suspicious of your motives, since you just happen to sell ONLY ACP pellets at a price that is well below most any other in this area.

Secondly, unless you received this info and it was marked "confidential-do not release" or "Top Secret", if the results are good, why would they NOT want the results revealed?? And if they ARE confidential, how did YOU come across them??

In my mind, "independent test results" only means that a company other than ACP did the testing.....but if ACP was the company asking (paying??) them to do it, I (and others) have some serious doubts.

Macman,

You would think the only reason they would want the results to be kept secret. Would be because the results were not to there liking. In other words, They don't perform to what they say they do.

They would have to show me something, Before I would EVER try them again!

just my 2
jay

PS, Yes I tried both the old bags and the new bags. I didn't see much difference with either! YUK!!!

macman said:
Josh5339 said:

Josh, first of all, no offense, but unless your willing to post the person/company that asked for the "independent test results" that YOU brought up, AND the names of the lab(s) doing the testing (along with a way to verify where you obtained that info ie: web link, newspaper article, trade publication link, etc), you basically have made the members here suspicious of your motives, since you just happen to sell ONLY ACP pellets at a price that is well below most any other in this area.

Secondly, unless you received this info and it was marked "confidential-do not release" or "Top Secret", if the results are good, why would they NOT want the results revealed?? And if they ARE confidential, how did YOU come across them??

In my mind, "independent test results" only means that a company other than ACP did the testing.....but if ACP was the company asking (paying??) them to do it, I (and others) have some serious doubts.

Ok let me be clear. i could care less if you burn ACP or not. the lab tests were paid for by ACP. ACP faxed the information given to them by the lab directly to us. just so we are on the same page, someone DOES have to pay for the testing and it usually is the manufacturer. if you think the results are biased just because THEY paid to have them conducted then YOU pay for testing on them next time. Long and short of it is that information was passed on to us by ACP and in order to conduct business ethically I will not betray their trust. the information i posted was given to me for the public eye to see. until i get clarification that i can post the actual testing data then i will not post it because it is not mine to post. any reasonable person can appreciate confidentiality between two businesses. however, i completely agree that i can't imagine why they would not want this info to circulate. currently the people i need to speak with are on vacation. i will let everyone know early next week, when they get back, if i am able to post.
yes we do get a great price on ACP which is why we carry them. For ex., Hamers are $25 more per ton before freight add another $25 for freight per ton and you are at an extra $50 per ton for hard wood. if i can get my customers a good supply of a good pellet why whouldn't i? and as a hearth shop why would i promote a poor quality pellet? how would that benefit me? any hearth shop will tell you they make crap on pellets. so what motives would i have to make up this fictitious tale? (sounds like a new thread to me)
i say a lot of this in jest so please don't take it too seriously, i do not like my integrity questioned, however i do know that none of you know me personally and have very good reason to be doubtful. maybe i am wrong. maybe the hundreds of tons we sold were out of the norm for ACP. maybe the customers that request ACP are merely paid employees of ACP. maybe they like us better than everyone else. WHO KNOWS?!?!

as i said burn w/e you want. burn dirt. i don't care. lol again joking. don't really burn dirt. i know, i know, burning ACP is as good as burning dirt. you don't have to say it i said it for you.

jtakeman said:
Macman,

You would think the only reason they would want the results to be kept secret. Would be because the results were not to there liking. In other words, They don't perform to what they say they do.

They would have to show me something, Before I would EVER try them again!

just my 2
jay

PS, Yes I tried both the old bags and the new bags. I didn't see much difference with either! YUK!!!

Jay, I personally have never burned them, so I can't say, but considering all the posts on this forum that are negative, I won't be burning any (and I can buy them cheap about 10 min from my house).

Josh, again, no offense intended, but now that we all know that ACP paid for the testing (yes, that does make sense, but why didn't you tell us that in the first post?), but haven't released it to the public for 4 months, I don't think I'm alone in questioning the "results". You would think they would be telling and showing "good" results to anybody and everybody they could.

If you have lots of customers who bought them, and were happy, then I'm glad for your company. I don't want to see anyone that is selling heating fuel that's made in the USA go out of business.

From what I was told and found by looking at the old pellet ACP vs. the new ACP pellet the new pellets are darker in color. They both have the same smell to them that I didn't think was bad. I actually have samples of the new vs. the old on these pellets and could post them if I really wanted to. I actually take a handful of every different pellet I burn put it in a ziplock bag, write the name of the pellet, Softwood or Hardwood, production date (if available), where purchased and a quick note on how it burned. I then can compare the different types of pellets and have a better review between one year to another or ton vs. ton.

Medreach, have you burned the "newer" version? Any comparison you can give us?

I have burned both new and old. I will admit that there is an improvement. With that said very little improvement. If you have read other posts on ACP pellets you'll come to your own conclusion. It's like anything else, you pay for what you get. If i didn't have any other choice I would consider burning ACP or possibly not using the stove at all (if that option is available).

Josh/Zipo, I think where we are now is that two points have been established. First, ACP pellets had a bad reputation last year. Second, the pellets may or may not have been improved somewhat this year but there's no consensus about how much.

We're heading into the Fourth of July weekend. In six or eight months, everyone will be able to see how the pellets have turned out. There will be plenty of evidence. I'm sure you'll agree that one good thing about sales work is that the numbers speak for themselves.

LOOK I HAVE A HARMAN P-68 AND i JUST BOUGHT 4 TONS OF ACP PELLETS. I STARTED BURNING THEM A FEW DAYS AGO AND THEY BURN GREAT AND THE I CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF ASH FROM ANY OTHER PELLET. I BOUGHT THE PELLETS FOR $220/TON AND THEY WERE A LOT CHEAPER THEN ANY OTHER PELLET. tHE MORAL OF THE STORY IS TO GET A GOOD PELLET STOVE THAT WILL BURN ANYTHING AND REAP THE REWARDS WITH THE YEARLY PELLET BUY. i THINK TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE A SCIENCE OF ALL OF THE PELLET STOVE VARIABLES. YOU HAVE A STOVE, BUY THE PELLETS, FEED THE STOVE, GET HEAT AND ASH AND SMOKE AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. I HAVE READ SO MANY NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT ACP PELLETS BUT I SAID THAT THEY ARE CHEAPER AND STILL A WOOD PELLET SO I THINK IT IS WORTH IT TO GIVE THEM A SHOT. SO I DID AND THEY ARE A PELLET JUST LIKE ALL OF THE REST. I ALSO BOUGHT PENNINGTON PELLETS LAST YEAR AND EVERYONE SAID THEY WERE SOOOO BAD BUT I THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD. I BELIEVE MANY PEOPLE JUST WANT SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. HAVE FUN

please302 said:
I BELIEVE MANY PEOPLE JUST WANT SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. HAVE FUN

That's the feeling I get reading your post(S).

[quote author="please302" date="1255772488"]LOOK I HAVE A HARMAN P-68 AND i JUST BOUGHT 4 TONS OF ACP PELLETS. And this one now we know what stove and pellets your using thanks very informative PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please302 said:
LOOK I HAVE A HARMAN P-68 AND i JUST BOUGHT 4 TONS OF ACP PELLETS. I STARTED BURNING THEM A FEW DAYS AGO AND THEY BURN GREAT AND THE I CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF ASH FROM ANY OTHER PELLET. I BOUGHT THE PELLETS FOR $220/TON AND THEY WERE A LOT CHEAPER THEN ANY OTHER PELLET. tHE MORAL OF THE STORY IS TO GET A GOOD PELLET STOVE THAT WILL BURN ANYTHING AND REAP THE REWARDS WITH THE YEARLY PELLET BUY. i THINK TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE A SCIENCE OF ALL OF THE PELLET STOVE VARIABLES. YOU HAVE A STOVE, BUY THE PELLETS, FEED THE STOVE, GET HEAT AND ASH AND SMOKE AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. I HAVE READ SO MANY NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT ACP PELLETS BUT I SAID THAT THEY ARE CHEAPER AND STILL A WOOD PELLET SO I THINK IT IS WORTH IT TO GIVE THEM A SHOT. SO I DID AND THEY ARE A PELLET JUST LIKE ALL OF THE REST. I ALSO BOUGHT PENNINGTON PELLETS LAST YEAR AND EVERYONE SAID THEY WERE SOOOO BAD BUT I THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD. I BELIEVE MANY PEOPLE JUST WANT SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. HAVE FUN

Why would anyone not want this argument to work its self out? These pellets were so bad, they deserve the negative press. Pennington had some serious issues, yet they were on here going back and forth with people and ultimately giving them refunds, and even printed a garantee right on the bag.

The penningtons I tried again. Even though there were tons of bad press, a pennington rep got on here, was honest about the issues and offered to make it right. That makes me feel confident that if there is a problem, they will fix it. The penningtons I tried were a good pellet. Good heat, clean looking flame, and low ash

I am suspicious of anyone who wants to stifle this argument.

Please stop yelling at us!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.