Applying ACS To Fireplace Brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sain6815

Dec 28, 2016
Greer SC
Hey All

My question is, will ACS work on an open fire in the fireplace? I have some glazed creosote near the top around the damper.

Any suggestions on cleaning.

I am planning on adding a direct connect this year and a full liner next year.

The primary build up is not in the clay liner but in the actual fireplace.

Last edited:
My top cleaning tip would be "run a full liner before you put the insert back in".

I doubt creosote on the brick is an actual fire hazard for a properly installed insert unless the liner is touching it, but I would still try to remove it just in case.

If you have a Buck 28000, you may also want to consider not putting it back in and upgrading to an EPA stove. Buck still makes big inserts if you like Bucks!

The chimney must be thoroughly cleaned and free of creosote before installing the liner. That includes accumulation on the smoke shelf.

As for using ACS to clean out a badly gunked up fireplace with an open fire...? Sounds like the potential makings for a chimney fire. at least clean it to the best of your ability first. If there is glaze creosote you may want to hire a pro to clean it.