Appropriate wood stove sizing for my home.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bak1000

Mar 2, 2023
Nampa Idaho
Hello. This forum is great and I’ve spent a lot of time searching through and learning while trying to decide on a new wood stove for our house. I wanted to ask for your opinion on stove size based on our specific situation. We are replacing an old Timberline steel stove. The Timberline was built I think in the mid 70s. It has a 3cf firebox, and a fan. My brother who lives in the bay area has a PE Spectrum which appears to be similar to a Super classic. My home is a 1600 sf ranch and I use the wood stove as the only heat source. The winters here are usually 20s or so at night and 30s to 40 during the day. I was looking at the PE super LE, but I want to make sure that it would be large enough. I wanted to get you opinions. Should I be looking at the Summit? Thanks

I'd get the Summit. We have a friend that heats his 1600 sq ft place in northern WA state with one. It's a flexible burner for milder weather partial load burns, but will have the reserve capacity when needed for those zero-degree days.

Reactions: kennyp2339
I'd get the Summit. We have a friend that heats his 1600 sq ft place in northern WA state with one. It's a flexible burner for milder weather partial load burns, but will have the reserve capacity when needed for those zero-degree days.
Thanks for that. I have heard from some others that burning partial loads, or smaller fires in the larger fire box might be an issue with that stove VS a regular fire in the smaller one. Is there anything out there about that? Thanks

Thanks for that. I have heard from some others that burning partial loads, or smaller fires in the larger fire box might be an issue with that stove VS a regular fire in the smaller one. Is there anything out there about that? Thanks
Yes, if the fire is very small, but the Summit will run ok with just 3-4 medium splits burning. I was just up seeing my friend and that is how they run their stove until temps get below freezing. Their house is well-insulated and sheltered from the wind.

The alternative is to work with nature. The past 2 days I have been starting a 3/4 full firebox at 7:30 am and letting the fire gradually burn down during the day as the sun takes over warming the house. This is in the T6 which has the same firebox as the Summit. This raises the overnight temp and then tapers off the heating gradually. Last night's reload was at 9pm and there were still enough hot coals for a relight. Today is a little warmer so I just did a half-load of about 3 large and 3 medium-sized splits.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Begreennis spot on, I’d also recommend a BK Princess, that stove is a proven heater that can be regulated as far as temp control very easily, longer burn times and a deeper belly so you don’t need to empty out ash as much, more then likely more expensive then the PE though.
About how high is your chimney?

Begreennis spot on, I’d also recommend a BK Princess, that stove is a proven heater that can be regulated as far as temp control very easily, longer burn times and a deeper belly so you don’t need to empty out ash as much, more then likely more expensive then the PE though.
About how high is your chimney?
13 feet from the top of the stove to the top of the exterior pipe.

13 feet from the top of the stove to the top of the exterior pipe.
That's another plus for the Super, Summit, or other Canadian stoves. Most of them will work well on a 13' flue liner.

That's another plus for the Super, Summit, or other Canadian stoves. Most of them will work well on a 13' flue liner.
Not to mention they've got about 1/3 as many moving parts..