Approximately how hot does the surrounding air in an existing firebox get when you put in a gas insert that puts out 24,000 BTU ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

karmicgumbo

Aug 25, 2021
Newland, NC
I am putting in a Napoleon Inspiration ZC gas insert into my old existing masonry fireplace. I need to build a custom surround for it to work, and will have to have some materials going into the space surrounding the insert. I am wondering how hot the air that is around the insert will get?

thanks,

D

I am putting in a Napoleon Inspiration ZC gas insert into my old existing masonry fireplace. I need to build a custom surround for it to work, and will have to have some materials going into the space surrounding the insert. I am wondering how hot the air that is around the insert will get?

thanks,

D
The installation manual for your specific model should have a section on this. The HeatnGlo inserts that I install require that all of the material used to build it out have to be non combustible.

The installation manual for your specific model should have a section on this. The HeatnGlo inserts that I install require that all of the material used to build it out have to be non combustible.
Thanks for your reply. I understand it has to noncombustible, but even with the HeatnGlo's that you install, what temperature would the air surrounding the insert likely get to? I just have no idea.

David

Are you asking because you are going to not comply with the clearance specifications in the manual?

Or you will comply (in which case the answer to your question won't matter, but may satisfy personal curiosity...)?

Reactions: bholler
It is more of a personal curiosity about the physics involved with these devices.

thanks,

David
In that case install it and get an ir thermometer to play with

Thanks for your reply. I understand it has to noncombustible, but even with the HeatnGlo's that you install, what temperature would the air surrounding the insert likely get to? I just have no idea.

David
I don't know about your insert but here is a page from the install manual for a 40,000 btu direct vent fireplace.

Attachments

• 2506_980-6000CLXIFT_8000CLXIFT-install.pdf
    108.2 KB · Views: 108
I.R. does surfaces, right? He wants air temperature. Wouldn't a dual-probe bbq thermometer be better than an i.r. one for a test?

My Thermoworks dual-probe bbq thermometer would work well.

Last edited: