Aquastat temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, I am a woodburner...but use the boiler(oil) to supplement and for dhw. Just pulled off the cover on the aquastat, and it was set at high for 190 and low for 170. Aren't those settings kind of high?
I am tired of hearing the boiler run during the summer months for just hot water....is there any problem with turning it down to say 170 high and 150 low?

I can take some pics if it would help, just hate to hear that boiler burning oil in the middle of the summer.

None at all. You may notice a slight decrease in hot water production but as long as you keep it above 140 to prevent flue gas condensation there will be no damage to the oil boiler.

In the summer I have mine set to 155 high 140 low. But it all depends on where your aquastat is mounted and where it's seeing the temps (ie. high or low). My bottom line, set it so the burner kicks in just about the same time the DHW gets to borderline not hot enough.

Thanks guys. I think I will start with just a 10 degree decrease and see how it goes. Maybe ill go 150 low and 170 high in the summer. The mrss likesher showers hot.

I'm 140 low 180 high. I never worry about hitting high as the wood stove keeps house warm. The low is set to 140 and dips to 130 before it kicks on again to reach 140.

Ok, I am a woodburner...but use the boiler(oil) to supplement and for dhw. Just pulled off the cover on the aquastat, and it was set at high for 190 and low for 170. Aren't those settings kind of high?
I am tired of hearing the boiler run during the summer months for just hot water....is there any problem with turning it down to say 170 high and 150 low?

I can take some pics if it would help, just hate to hear that boiler burning oil in the middle of the summer.
I had same problem,I set my boiler little lower for summer but not much 180*to 160* I used for 5 months 162 gal oil may to Sept. But i did get a device it an ele. flap that works with the boiler when it is OFF it closes so air does not go up threw boiler and up chimney with all your heat. It works great, I used only 72gal. oil that summer for same time. You be surprise how much air is going up threw boiler from air inlet on burner up threw boiler while it just sitting there.
Also make sure your mixing valve is working ok you may be waisting hot water there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.