Arborvitaes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Anyone burn much of these in an EPA stove? I have over 100 large American Arbs in 1 of our feilds at the nursery that are to large to move with even the biggest tree spade. Most have multipul trunks up to 8 inches in diameter. I've burned quite afew in the far pit over the years and they burn good, hot, and fast.
I cant seem to get any info on btu's but iffn they make smoke they make heat right?
Maybe since they are part of the cypress family I would be better of just diggin them up with a backhoe and runnin them thru a tub grinder for mulch.
Then there are the 300- 10 inch diameter junipers that I need to clean out. It's gonna be a long hot summer I'm thinkin.

that stuff burns fine when dried out. Buck it, split it and put it in the shoulder piles, butcher!!

They make decent mulch.

An awful lot of work to make firewood out of 'em. I considered it when we took a big row of some 50 year old ones out.
That's a lot of branches to clean up. I'd toss 'em in a chipper or tub grinder whatever you've got that can handle 'em whole and cut down a pine tree that's a lot less mess to clean up.

Too much work, IMO. Too much brush not enough wood...and not enough heat from the wood you do get out of it. I would burn 'em brush style.

This is coming from a guy who gets all the free primo hardwood he could ever want. Your situation may vary...

Too much work, IMO. Too much brush not enough wood...and not enough heat from the wood you do get out of it. I would burn 'em brush style.

This is coming from a guy who gets all the free primo hardwood he could ever want. Your situation may vary...

Yep, what he said

I've heard of people getting rashes from messing with them so you may want to wear long sleeves and gloves when you mess with them.

Well as far as to much work is concerned I guess that aint a problem since them trees are all rowed and I can get my 80 hp skidloader and 3 dumptrucks right into were they are growing. I just need to clear out some old arbs so as to plant new ones that will be salable in the next 5 to 6 years.
Really just wondered how they burned in an epa stove is all. I sure as heck aint gonna let them go to waiste no how.

Status
Not open for further replies.