archgard wood stove the chalet model 1800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy19

Feb 13, 2011
Nova Scotia
Does anyone have one of these models? and if so can you share your experience with the product?

Looks like a nice stove, I wouldn't be scared to buy it. Website says lifetime warranty, so if the baffle breaks, they SHOULD give you another one. If not, you could probally make one out of the same material. I guess you could use stainless, if there is a ceramic blanket over top of it.

I Just read the warranty. The Ceramic baffle is only warranteed for a year. Oh well, The stove would still work okay with a crack in the baffle, or you could lay the cracked baffle above the stainless piece, if you buy the stove, andend up having to make one up.

BTW, these are made in Debert, not as pretty as the Archgard , though :)
http://www.newmacfurnaces.com/showroom/EPA-STATUS.html

I have an Archgard Chalet 1800 going into its third winter. Heating a two-story house (basement gets heat from furnace) all winter in the Canadian Rockies so pretty cold, about six cords a year but I don't really count, just get wood. Generally I'm happy with it. The ceramic is still fine, and I run it pretty hot, burning pine mostly with the odd load of very dry birch when I can scavenge some on a work or rec trip to BC. Overall very happy with it. Small issues, but relevant. I'd still buy it again, but thinking about sending the below to Archgard, see what they have to say. Anyhow, small issues:

We go through door gaskets, one a year at least. Don't know if this is normal.
The ball hinge piece gets real creaky and the metal is slightly deforming on the inside of the little "box" where the ball hinge piece catches. Something is going to have to be done about that eventually. I do use lubricant, but in a wood stove that doesn't last super long (graphite, maybe something better?).
The threaded handle-stop broke off a while back, it's cheap compared to everything else on the stove and grossly underbuilt for the torque the handle is going to put on it. The whole handle build seemed great when fresh in the store, I'm now thinking it's not so great, could use design work.
The window gasket needs replacing now too. I don't know what's "normal" on gaskets, they're pretty cheap, but kinda annoying.
The ash tray is useless, just scoop it out, only used it once--makes more dust and is more annoying than just scooping it out.
The blower motor throws a lot of heat, like it, but it's loud and doesn't seem to be the most efficient overall motor design ever. Had to shim it to keep it from vibrating.

We bought the fancy plated legs and door, looks very nice. Built a nice heat shield behind it, tiled the rest of the alcove, looks great and my wife loves the heat, as do I. Burn it.

Wow so somebody out there owns one after all lol. We ended up buying a Drolet Eastwood 1900 yesterday and is being delivered today. The Archgard was was for sale at our local store for $1100 and we were considering it but decided against it.

Drolet was $800
Drolet will load north South.
Drolet seems built to throw more heat off the sides which we like for our heating area.

Archgard was difficult to close door in the store (on the stove not the store)
we wondered about the ball hinge on the handle.
did n`t like the fact that after searching this forum we could n`t find one person to give it a vote of confidence...not surprising it would only come after I bought the other stove.
was only 1 review but that review was done after 1 month of use in the fall.
Archgard never answered my email.

We considered Enviro Kodiak 1700 / Archgard Chalet 1800 / Enerzone 3.4 /

Thanks to all for voicing their opinion.

Reactions: akjed
Status
Not open for further replies.