Are cord prices dropping as much as oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigg_Redd said:
I'm still getting wood for free, so, no, the price hasn't dropped.

:) If only you could get oil for free... oops, you can! (but not many people will)

Market speculation is a large component of oil price. Then there are various subsidies in, and taxes out... it makes the eyes glaze over to even try to understand the real price.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned is the lack of wood due to the housing market being in the toilet.

If they're not building, they're not clearing land. If they're not clearing land, they're not creating supplies of wood to be sold.

In speaking with sources locally (in the Plymouth, Mass general area), that's what I'm being told.

In Amherst, NH, no, the price of wood is still insane. $250 per cord and up (mostly $275 and up) for green wood, when it can be had at all. Early last summer I halted plans to buy a wood stove since there is no point in spending that much if cost-effective fuel cannot be obtained. I'll start earlier in 2009 and we'll see what happens. My point in time perspective is that wood burning would be a lot of upfront expense and ongoing annual supply hassles to save very little money. Kind of like pellets.

The price of oil and the price of wood is not a good comparison. We need to compare the price of wood to the cost of living. The cost of living has gone up. The profit margin in processing wood is very small if they can't make money they they won't do it. Most wood suppliers are not big companies they are families. I am willing to pay a bit more to help my neighbors.

$100/Full Cord or less for log length delivered anywhere in the US is a GOOD deal. Consider yourself lucky if you get a better deal. Production and delivery costs alone from stump to your yard are easily $100+/Full Cord . It takes a minimum of $350,000 worth of equipment to get the wood to your house. Feel free to tip your wood man.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
$100/Full Cord or less for log length delivered anywhere in the US is a GOOD deal. Consider yourself lucky if you get a better deal. Production and delivery costs alone from stump to your yard are easily $100+/Full Cord . It takes a minimum of $350,000 worth of equipment to get the wood to your house. Feel free to tip your wood man.

Where I live (Southeastern Mass), you cannot even GET log length wood delivered.

every year i run an ad in the local pennysaver paper type here--i purchased 15 face cord for 800.00 in the spring of 08-mixed hardwoods,split and delivered,,i just stack--this year i will run the ad for 700.00 in the spring--i always get a bite---every year for the last 4 years

Green CS&D;is $225 here, and seasoned is $275-$300 if you can find any. I know treelength went up to around $130-$140/cd but I think it's back down now.

And oil is starting to climb a little bit. Mideast tensions, the King of Saudi Arabia bought a new yacht, or potential combination lunar and solar eclipses in 2012, I wasn't exactly paying attention to the reason they gave...I BURN WOOD NOW, BABY!!!

There were some high ($350/ 375.00) prices mid-Summer to Fall but they seem to be anywhere from $150- $275. (green -to - supposedly almost seasoned) right now.

I've never bought a cord, but I try to gauge what my stacks are worth.
I'm burning oil, right now. I'll save all that cherry, oak and sweat and tears for harder times.
Money in the bank. That idiom may have to be retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.