Called about a wood delivery yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What is the place called? You know Lipinski's in Kennerdell has $50 slab bundles with some pretty large pieces in the bundles. Not sure the exact cuft of the bundles but pretty close to a cord I'd say. Slabs work great to pack in the tetris pieces after filling the stove with some big splits. Really helps ensure good use of the firebox.
All my wood was purchased from FB marketplace. The veneer plant stuff was not even advertised. I bought some dimensional lumber off the guy and he happened to have the veneer cut 3 years ago. Saved our hide this last winter.
Kennerdell is not that far from us. Have many fond memories camping around the area as a Boy Scout.

We burned slab wood for two years. It was a pain in the butt. It burned up real fast, but didn't give much heat because it was still damp.

My knee jerk plan was to rent a UHaul, employ child labor and take it with me. Admittedly, I'm a little irrationally attached to the wood. It was all tree length logs from my current property that I chainsawed and hand split with the X27 or the 8lb maul, so I feel that there's a lot of my sweat mixed in the moisture of every piece of firewood. The stupid thing is, the new place doesn't have a wood stove (yet). Old place isn't on the market yet and might end up as a rental property.
I guess it depends on whether moving it is more or less work than just harvesting new. I mean, if the wood is being harvested from the new property, it might be easier to just take what you need for the first year, and start harvesting the rest on the new lot.

Reactions: MinM
Find a guy with a semi and fill it. Just throw it in.
Or have someone bring a large rolloff dumpster...fill it up and have them drop or dump it at the new place then...

Awesome price since nobody sells green mixed wood below $275 here. A good price in my area for a seasoned cord (9 months split) is between $260-$325 delivered.

I guess I look at what I have on hand here at the house and say.. thats 3500 worth of wood??? Doesn't seam right.. I guess it is.. I guess if you look at what they are asking for wet wood compared to what Im selling actual dry wood for.. I guess its not bad
It's not really bad at all. I used to sell 2yr split red oak at 300/cord. This was 20yrs ago.

I’ve seen some prices on marketplace for $300 a cord of oak. Me personally i don’t and won’t buy firewood. I would start a tree service before buying my own firewood.
If I had some coin to spare, I'd buy some, and I do a ton of tree work. I've always been like yourself and refuse to buy. I had to buy a log truck worth at discount, when we moved here in the beginning of winter, 3 seasons ago. I had none on hand of my own at the time. Most was dead ash .... luckily.

I'd buy some of that split oak... like 10cord, but only at discount. Even more if I provided my own delivery. Say 10 cord at 2Gs. Cash and carry. A good part of the work is done, and it would supplement my current stock for the future. Without getting political, I'm concerned about a slow down of tree work in the near future due to the economy. 10 cord or better would be some good assurance of this house's hungry diet.

@Woodsplitter67 If I were you, I'd jump on some high BTU wood. Even if you finished seasoning it and flipped it for profit.

Reactions: Wildflush
Sell it? Leave it? See if the buyer is willing to pay for it? Likely, it will become one of the levers in negotiation, such as forgiving some other inspection issue by compensating cost in firewood.
We sold our last house seven years ago to a builder, who was going to knock the house down. Bit of a cowboy, he emptied the oil tank by running the heat on high until it was gone. Seriously. Cheaper for him than recovering it, I guess.

I had about three cords of well seasoned oak. Wouldn't leave for him, so I rented a big open UHaul trailer and hauled it to our new place about 60 miles away. Pretty badly overloaded the trailer, I learned later. :) Oops.

I did check to make sure that I could transport the wood between the two locations. It's not safe to move wood too far because of the risk of bringing an alien bug infestation to a new area...

Reactions: NickW
We sold our last house seven years ago to a builder, who was going to knock the house down. Bit of a cowboy, he emptied the oil tank by running the heat on high until it was gone. Seriously. Cheaper for him than recovering it, I guess.

I had about three cords of well seasoned oak. Wouldn't leave for him, so I rented a big open UHaul trailer and hauled it to our new place about 60 miles away. Pretty badly overloaded the trailer, I learned later. :) Oops.

I did check to make sure that I could transport the wood between the two locations. It's not safe to move wood too far because of the risk of bringing an alien bug infestation to a new area...
Considering that's over 11,000lbs...yeah, that's a heck of a load. One of the big dump trailers would have been better, but you'd need the appropriate vehicle to tow it with.

When we move to the Northwoods I plan to leave 2-3 years worth of wood for the new owners... I'm not hauling 8-12 cord 200 miles plus a lot of it is usually ash. I live in a quarantine county and would travel through non quarantine county's... That's a no-no.

Oak is going for 4-500$ in my area, and it's so green the squirrels are still in it. Yet they market it as seasoned. This whole inflation thing brought out a lot of greed and dishonesty in the local firewood business. They get pretty pissed off when I answer their FB posts with a link on how to measure a cord and how to check for moisture content.

Reactions: all night moe
Oak is going for 4-500$ in my area, and it's so green the squirrels are still in it. Yet they market it as seasoned. This whole inflation thing brought out a lot of greed and dishonesty in the local firewood business. They get pretty pissed off when I answer their FB posts with a link on how to measure a cord and how to check for moisture content.
Yup even sellers here call it seasoned. They are not lying since it is seasoned to a point but NOT seasoned to -20% for safe and efficient burning. The stuff in the middle and bottom of the pile is still wet and can still be over 30%. No air circulation and sunlight will keep it wet. I just got a cord and resplit some red oak and you could see the water. Was split Fall of 2021. This cord will sit for 3 summers.

A friend wanted a cord from me yesterday and the agreed price was $300. This wood is dry. I showed up yesterday only to see a truck dumping a cord at his front door. I just about cried. He said the guy was running a spring special for $250. He said he still wants wood from me, just not yet.....

A friend wanted a cord from me yesterday and the agreed price was $300. This wood is dry. I showed up yesterday only to see a truck dumping a cord at his front door. I just about cried. He said the guy was running a spring special for $250. He said he still wants wood from me, just not yet.....
Tell him to burn that for a few days, then give him an armful of yours...bet he wants yours a lot sooner than "just not yet"

that sucks.. not much of a friend.. I wouldn't be selling to him any time soon.. I was selling wood out of my stacks for 350 to 400.. im selling kiln dried for 500.. next time he calls it should be at least 375

Last edited: