Are cordless electric chainsaws any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Trevarthan, This probably isn't right but when I look at your two pictures of your chains on your bar they look like they are on backwards. If the chains rotate to the right in your pictures shouldn't the chains be turned around? Shirley this is my misunderstanding right? Help me out with this....

88 and was about though 89 when saw ran out of fuel
Trevarthan, This probably isn't right but when I look at your two pictures of your chains on your bar they look like they are on backwards. If the chains rotate to the right in your pictures shouldn't the chains be turned around? Shirley this is my misunderstanding right? Help me out with this....

The nose is on the left in the photos. My bar is upside down.

Ah yes....Then all is correct.

I assume the saw was upside down because the chains mounted correctly in the video.

That reminds me of the story about Bubba, the hillbilly who cut all his firewood with a crosscut handsaw. Billy-Bob, the owner of the local hardware store, hadn't seen Bubba for some time and decided to take a drive and drop in for a visit. When he arrived he found Bubba in the back 20 sawing and sweating. Billy-Bob said "Bubba, you oughta get a chainsaw, you'll be cutting your firewood in 1/10 the time, stop by my store and I'll set you up." Bubba couldn't believe it. He said "Really? You mean I'll cut 10 times the amount of wood in an hour that I cut now if I get a new-fangled chainsaw?" "Billy-Bob said, "Yep, you're gonna save so much time you're gonna get tired of fishing!" Now Bubba loved to fish a lot more than cutting wood so this was music to his ears. The next day Bubba headed into town and picked up a brand new chainsaw, some new fishing line and a few new fishhooks.

The first day with his new chainsaw he noticed his production had gone down, not up. But he decided to give it another try seeing how maybe he needed to learn to use it better. But the second day he was worn out from the first day and he cut even less. He was too worn out to even go fishing.

Unhappy with his new, expensive purchase, he took it back to his friends store and said, "Billy-Bob, I think there's something wrong with this new-fangled saw here. You said I'd be cutting so much faster I'd be fishin' to my hearts content but it don't work. It's heavy, cuts real slow and I've never been more worn out after a whole day cutting firewood. You can take this worthless saw back and give me a refund." Billy-Bob looks a little surprised but says "Let's have a look at this thing. Come back here with me." So Bubba follows him and his new saw to the back shop. Billy Bob looks over the saw, checks the chain, and everything is in order. The tank is full so he gives the cord a couple of pulls and it starts and revs right up.

Bubba jumps backwards surprised, eyes wide open, and says "what's all that noise coming from?".

Reactions: spirilis