Are length of pellets an issue in Englander stoves??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maritimer

Nov 9, 2008
Eastern Canada
I read in the manual that pellets should not be longer than 2 inches. Well I received a batch of Maine Wood Pellets that were 2 inches plus/minus. Are they going to be an issue in my 25-pvdc???

I wouldn't be worried...as long as they're all not very large...I'm sure the auger can handle to break them up...

some may cause bridging in the hopper and not allow pellets to get to the auger. just for precaution pour some in a 5 gal pail and break them down a bit with a sledge hammer or something heavy the will fit in the pail . dont pulverize them just break them up a bit. i had alot of these in the first 2 ton of pellets from athens that i burned. yes its a pain in the butt....but so is running out of fire or and auger jam.

mike

they can be , sometimes they can get caught in the chute area between the two augers and cause a jam, per PFI less than 1% of pellets should be 1.5 inches so if you have a bag full of "pencils" you could have bridging and jam issues with them, hopefully its an isolated bag and not what your whole supply is made up of. the manufacturer should do a better job of making them to industry accepted specs.

I have been trying a couple of different pellet brands this weekend, Clean Energy from Lowes and Forest Pride,

I usually burn Penningtons which I have no issues with and don,t want to start an other "pennington" bash thread.

What I found was the Clean Energy from Lowes and Forest Pride were smaller in length like maybe 1/4 to 3/4 VS the Pennington 1/2 to 1-1/2 plus length.

The Clean Energy from Lowes and Forest Pride appeared to feed better in the stove and gave me more heat with a steady flame but I went through a 40lb bag faster than the penningtons and my stove was dirtier at clean out.

I have just about burned a ton of Penningtons and have had 2 upper auger jams but they were due to "puffed damp pellets not standard pennington pellets"

Status
Not open for further replies.