Are these the parts I need to connect insert to pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipster96

Mar 28, 2009
Arkansas
Attaching Regency I2400 fireplace insert to 6" double-wall Dura-vent liner pipe, with Simpson Extend-a-cap kit on top of brick chimney.

The bottom of the chimney is 13"x13" measured around the outer part of the brick.

Parts on hand:

Duravent Relining Slip Connector and Hanger:

4671_4871.png

Duravent Chimney Relining Flat Stove Connector ($40):

4680_4880.png

I thought I had ordered an anchor plate, but the ventingpipe.com salesman sent the above stove connector.

1. Do I really need:

6" Class A Chimney Pipe Transition Anchor Plate - 17" x 14" ($163):
transanchor.png

2. Assuming the anchor plate is essential, is there anything I need besides the plate, slip connector/hanger, main pipe and cap? Any sealant?

3. I don't understand how the insert could be removable. Won't it tear the connection? Or is the slip-connector movable, just unscrew and push up?

Thanks loads.

EDIT: I just learned the slip connector goes at the top of the chimney, so I'm more confused how the unit could be detached for removal.

It's very hard to reply because this installation appears to be completely irregular. I'm having a very hard time picturing what is going on with the setup. Do you have any plans or drawings that you could post so we can get the big picture? One important unanswered question: In the other thread you mentioned that the insert was captive. How is it captive? Is the insert being used to support any of the brick?

We are redoing some of the work, taking out the brick that was capturing the insert, as well as the short portion of unfinished chimney you saw in the picture with pipe sticking out. A cage of angle iron will be built, then brick laid over it. The cage will support about 5 feet of 13"x13" brick chimney (outdoor portion of chimney will have it's own brick support structure.) The insert will then be slipped into the cage, and thus remain removable.

(I posted your Russell quote on my Facebook wall and within minutes got a record number of likes. Love it.)

Well that's good. How high above the insert will the angle iron platform be? Hopefully enough room to easily make the stove connection?

Before proceeding, I am wondering if this is overkill. It looks like a brick chase is being built to enclose a liner, is this correct? If so, why not just support some class A pipe and forget about the brick chimney entirely? As long as the class A pipe has 2" clearance to combustibles and a firestop at the floor break (if this is 2 story) then it should be ok. Just a thought, I'm winging it here because this is a totally non-standard install.

BeGreen said:
How high above the insert will the angle iron platform be?

As high as we make it. I'm thinking of six inches clearance.

It looks like a brick chase is being built to enclose a liner, is this correct? If so, why not just support some class A pipe and forget about the brick chimney entirely?

I like brick. The chimney will twist and look bitchin.

I'm trying to figure out how to lift the flue pipe up to allow removal of the insert. The pipe attaches at the top to the slip connector and the extend-a-cap. Would it be possible to remove cap, unhitch the slip connector, and then just muscle up the column of pipe a couple inches? This would require the pipe to be free standing, not be attached to the masonry inside the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.