Arrow Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I just put on offer on a house that currently has an Arrow wood stove insert. Thanks to this website, I pulled the surround and looked, they lined the chimney!!! and it's a 1955 hours, someone knew what they were doing :)

Anywho, I have no clue of the model number, or style, are these inserts junk? I'll take a picture when I go back tot he house today..

Does the liner go all the way up? Or just through the damper?

Anyway... Arrow is now part of Quadrafire. If its a true Arrow unit, I have seen a few of the stoves and they seemed to be good quality and contruction. I'm sure thier effciency is limited by the era it was built in.

I put one in my folk's fireplace last year to replace their "Old Mill" slammer that was there when they bought the place. It's a real screamer heat wise. This one is EPA compliant, non-cat, and heats like two "Old Mill" slammers on about 1/2 to 2/3 the wood.

Post a pic... got us all curious now...

If it's the same insert... has a blower motor on each side, kind of square, with a "cooktop" that's also part of the front surround. Smaller square door with a smallish glass for fire viewing. Folks love it. Dad wouldn't sell it for a million dollars. They spent 75 dollars on oil last week, since last May... :)

D/F said:
I just put on offer on a house that currently has an Arrow wood stove insert. Thanks to this website, I pulled the surround and looked, they lined the chimney!!! and it's a 1955 hours, someone knew what they were doing :)

Anywho, I have no clue of the model number, or style, are these inserts junk? I'll take a picture when I go back tot he house today..

Should be a "tag" with information regarding the unit, model number, and EPA compliance on the inside of one of the outer doors on the front, around the ash cleanout...

Close...

I had to say, I'd guess a generation or two before the one I put in the folk's house. I'll bring my camera the next time I go down and shoot some pictures of it.

There's provisions for two blower motors on the thing. One was missing when my cousin loaded it into the back of the truck with the forklift. Darned thing's made of 1/4 to 3/8 steel plate... heavy sucker. Was a "scratch and dent" that just was hanging around, and he let us have it cheap when he heard about the slammer. "Bad. Gotta go, darned thing's gonna burn down your house."

Even with "one arm tied behind its back" with one blower motor... on low with one motor they're toasty and don't burn oil for anything but hot water.

D/F said:
See this thread I just started :https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/35680/

Sounds like the one your talking about..

It kinda looks like a heating monster, It only has one draft control on the front, and it slides from side to side, but not far.

Just a plate, with some maybe 1 inch holes in it... 4-5 of them? The plate is in the door for the cleanout? Smallish ash grate maybe the front half of the base... fairly deep firebox?

D/F said:
It kinda looks like a heating monster, It only has one draft control on the front, and it slides from side to side, but not far.

not really sure, it's a wood handle, that seems like it connects to a rod and slides from side to side. when I slide it I can hear a "thud" toward the rear of the stove

Oops...

Different from the folk's insert. Anxious to see pictures then... ;)

D/F said:
not really sure, it's a wood handle, that seems like it connects to a rod and slides from side to side. when I slide it I can hear a "thud" toward the rear of the stove

Status
Not open for further replies.