arthritis

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
just trying to see what other people are taking for arthritis. i take nabumetone generic for relafen. my doc and now i am looking for something else. i have been taking this for about 15 years. he says and i agree that i should look for something else before i have a stroke or heart attack. anybody try hemp oil?????
if i stop taking the pills it's about 5 days and then i can't sleep from pain and the first few hours in the morning are brutal

frank

Since you live in Massachusetts have you considered marijuana?
can't smoke it for two reasons. i got asthma and the last time i put on 40 lbs in 2 months
that why i'm trying hemp oil. just started it so we'll see

i use naproxen seems that i can take it for a week and then leave it alone for a week and im all good. I have major pain without. I also just installed a pellet stove and find that is helping allot in the evenings when i don't want to take pills

this truely a hard problem. been using charlottes web brand everyday plus drops but doesn't seem like it's the right dose i need something stronger. the next strongest dose is $150.a months supply. that's killer considering the other 4 meds on top.

Iv tried the natural products I found they made things worse. Some friends are fitness trainers and tell me walking will help since it's worse in my knees. Supossibly movement helps... I walk all day..not helping without pills...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

i use naproxen seems that i can take it for a week and then leave it alone for a week and im all good. I have major pain without. I also just installed a pellet stove and find that is helping allot in the evenings when i don't want to take pills
i think naproxen is a nsaid drug. any nsaid drug for long periods of time can lead to strokes or heart attack so i'm trying to find something else i have taken naproxen but i have to take 3 to 4 each time to equal 1 of my pills.

the hemp drops did not make things worse they are just not strong enough. my worst arthritis is my shoulders i have severe arthritis in both shoulders plus they both need to be replaced. bone on bone no cartilage left.
i find that using the arthritic joints helps til i get home and 1 hours later then it hits. they say use and the pain will ease. i find that a double edge sword

good luck in your search. would e nice if they made one safe drug that would work well on everyone. I know the pain i have the same shoulder issue as well. It sucks...

thanks. it would be nice to have something safe. i now need to research stem cell. i just seen the end of a ad on tv only once tonight about stem cell for knee's. if they can regenerate cartilage in knees i'm sure they can anywhere.

There is a TON of research going on right now to regrow joint tissue with stem cells. First in a lab, then injected into the patients joint. I have heard that Japan is pioneering this research with amazing results and hope to totally eliminate knee replacements.

Anyway..back here...
Have you tried joint supplements like this?
imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=510234-847&recipeName=680.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
a friend of mine had shoulder surgery not a replacement but reattachment of a few things from a accident. decided to try the smoke and said it worked very well. better than his pain med. i know three or four shots of knob creek works well but can't work like that. same with smoke. i upped my hemp from 2 droppers full to 3 we'll see. had to work over my head today so sore tonight. i think i'm going to have to add in glucosamine. it worked well for a sore knee when i was young. my biggest problem is whole body inflammation. between the gout and the arthritis i swell from head to toe. i remember seeing a few stories about growing back cartlidge so the next time i go in to the doc i'll ask him to see what he knows. i see him once every 3 months to the day for cortisone shots. those help big time.

Be careful with the cortisone shots. Eventually you will have nerve damage, then feel very little, then have little control of the muscles. They shoudn't be doing that for cronic pain because there is no end to it. It fixes nothing.

For inflamation, there is actually quite a bit of research showing that eliminating wheat from your diet can help. Lots of books on this...might be worth a shot.

Be careful with the cortisone shots. Eventually you will have nerve damage, then feel very little, then have little control of the muscles. They shoudn't be doing that for cronic pain because there is no end to it. It fixes nothing.

For inflamation, there is actually quite a bit of research showing that eliminating wheat from your diet can help. Lots of books on this...might be worth a shot.
Agreed. Sometimes they work, and other times no. I had a cortisone shot into the rotator cuff for chronic shoulder pain. A day later it ached worse and a week later the shoulder froze. My range of movement dropped down to well below shoulder height. The freeze got so bad that I had to train my left hand to do many tasks including writing and mousing on the computer. The problem was a repetitive stress disorder. 7 yrs later it happened to my left shoulder, but at least that time around I knew what was happening and chose a completely different course of treatment.

A worn out joint is a tougher situation. My BIL just had surgery to replace his shoulder joint. The cartilage was gone. Hope this will turn out well for him, he was in a lot of pain.

thanks for the update on the wheat i'm going to have to read.
here's the thing my shoulders don't have any cartilage left on the lower side but perfect on the upper. i hope you can understand because i don't know how to explain it medically. the ball that is the top of my arm is no longer round it's egg shaped from to many dislocations on both sides, it is riding bone on bone right now so those shots keep me sane. and for the most part able to sleep. without the shots no sleep lots of pain. this was unknown and manageable up until my gen prac doc said i need to get off the nabumetone i was taking for the last 15 years for arthritis and he thought it was the cause of the 2 ulcers that i got. that triggered my left shoulder for constant pain then right. when i said screw it and took one that night i slept. but the pill was keeping the inflammation down so for three months the inflammation went to work and my shoulders were diagnosed with the egg shaped bones lots of specks on the shoulder bones and severe arthritis. seeing that i work for myself i don't have the right insurance so i am working to save about 9 months of mortgage payments for the required recovery. they say closer to 6 months but i don't want to get screwed if it takes longer. so that is why i take the shots every three months. and something i learnt about the shots it matters where they inject it. the top of my shoulder is good he tried the front side the 5 minute drive home it felt like both shoulders were going to explode that took a day to go down and pain until 3 months later for next round. he said he might not have got it in the right spot.

sorry for the long story. so i feel backed into a corner until i raise enough for the left side. got to do one at a time. and if i can stop the body swelling it will feel much better. doc says the swelling is from gout.

I understand there is permanent damage. I get it man. That is tough, any way you slice it. Give the supplements a shot. You have nothing to lose.

can't smoke it for two reasons. i got asthma and the last time i put on 40 lbs in 2 months
that why i'm trying hemp oil. just started it so we'll see
Edibles. Any kind of smoke is bad for the lungs. Good for the symptoms, but not a real permanent solution.

They've come a long way with surgery, lots of minimally invasive stuff available today that wasn't 20 years ago.

Getting old sucks, no two ways about it.

I eat a few poke berries every day. They were an old native american remedy for rheumatism. No more than 3 or so berries after I built up a tolerance to them, as they are poisonous in a decent quantity. Man it works better than celebrex for my joints.

I understand there is permanent damage. I get it man. That is tough, any way you slice it. Give the supplements a shot. You have nothing to lose.
The loss could be bone necrosis. My SIL is dealing with 2 hip replacements as an outcome of high steroid treatment.

I eat a few poke berries every day. They were an old native american remedy for rheumatism. No more than 3 or so berries after I built up a tolerance to them, as they are poisonous in a decent quantity. Man it works better than celebrex for my joints.

never heard of poke berries. where do you get them.
my bones are damaged anyway. the shots seems the only way i can bide some time until replacement.
the hemp that i have been trying doesn't seem to cut it. this bottle is the middle dose and from the bottle it says 2 droppers full twice a day. i went up to 3 no difference. i just noticed tonight that i have a new joint of arthritis. in my right thumb. just took the second to last dose this 75 dollar bottle didn't last me 3 weeks.

Phytolacca americana, called poke berry or ink berry is pretty common to the midwest and eastern us. I would assume you can find it further west as well. In full sun on field edges and what not.

Around my area some people eat the leaves. Cook them up like greens after they boil the poison out several times.

But the berrys work very well for arthritus pain and inflamation. Im not usually into herbal bullshit, but this Ive found to actually work.

qr_425.jpg

Im sure youve seen it and just didnt know what it was called