Ash ID??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ValleyCottageSplitter

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
I went exploring in the woods behind us. There's 4 or 5 trees that uprooted from flooding. The difficulty back here is finding stuff that isn't punky.

I found one that looked pretty fresh. Was thinking locust by the bark but found opposite branching. Could this be ash? It doesn't look like any of the maples back there. Bark is thick and furroughed. I took a sample and gave it a split.

Excuse the marks from the dull Husky 450 I just picked up.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20170204_132153.jpg
    20170204_132153.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 20170204_134807.jpg
    20170204_134807.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 275
  • 20170204_135131.jpg
    20170204_135131.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Look in the middle of a cut side and you'll see a little pinhole if it is Ash, and that looks like Ash to me....

The bark is very deeply furrowed and sharper ridged than what's normal for ash, but if you found opposite branching then its either ash or horse chestnut, cause it's certainly not maple or dogwood. Chesnut can have that deep furrowed bark, but don't remember what grain looks like.

Almost every ash round, no matter how big, will have a white BB sized pith hole like this. If it's ash it should also have signs of EAB damage under the bark.
woodland-trust-site-manager-mike-ryder-displays-the-cross-section-gwgy2c.jpg

@PA. Woodsman
What do you mean by pinhole? Like from an ash borer or something about the knot?

I can see it on the cutside of the piece with the black burn marks on it, there is a little round "pinhole" that you can see which Ash has and just a few other trees, I have seen it on Hickory but usually it is just on Ash.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Opposite branching says MAD -- maple, ash or dogwood. Looks like ash to me, though I'm no good at photos.