Wood ID Oak or Ash or something else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Split

Aug 28, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I got a great selection of wood from my wood guy the other day. More on its way as well. Looks like a mix of oak ash maple and birch. However I'm seeing lots of this type. Perhaps it's oak or ash. I'm not sure because the bark is a brownish colour. It's heavy but it's also green. Its got a darker ring inside and looks like a clean split and none are stringy. I can't see any medullary lines cause the chainsaw marks have the ends all scuffed up. My wood guy must just go ham on this stuff cause all the ends have serious chainsaw marks. Here are some pics:

I appreciate all effort and responses. Thanks

20221027_162116.jpg 20221027_162109.jpg 20221027_162102.jpg

The bark and the color of the inner wood do not look like the Ash I have here.
I would not know how Ash would like where you are (or farther south as the other poster is)

Reactions: sloeffle
Looks like ash to me. A lot of the ash on my property has a slightly darker heartwood like yours.

And the bark on your wood looks like ash bark that’s been dragged around a bit. Probably by the log skidder or whatever they used to pull the trees out of the woods.

The hickory I have has similar bark, but much darker heartwood.