Some kind of Oak maybe?(Wood ID)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfw245

Jan 28, 2022
Dallas
Scored on some kind of oak yesterday. Not sure what kind but was told it was Burr Oak. But a few blocks of Unknown wood was also in there. Here's the few pics I got of it. Bark is definitely darker than it looks. Almost black looking. And the wood was a very contrasting near white color. It was definitely dense. I'll see if I can grab better photos?

IMG_20220310_163509.jpg IMG_20220310_163535.jpg IMG_20220310_163517.jpg

I don't know Burr oak, but the wood grain does not look like oak to me. No rays.
I've seen such wiggles in maple (and I believe some ash). (But can't place the bark)

Reactions: Dfw245
Interesting. Yeah I'm not too sure what it is, it's a lot lighter than the 'Burr Oak' that he gave me. This stuff almost has a black and white appearance and pretty dense. No smell really of any kind. Looks like a very neutral piece of wood.

The bark ridges of ash cross, leading to diamond patterns. Not many trees do that.

You can see that in the bottom pic. The top has very few if any crossings.

White ash would be my guess.

If it was in the Northeast Id say ash or maple. Wouldn't bet on it in Texas.

While it is true that there doesn't seem to be many ashes down here, I did recently come across some. It looks similar but not quite the same.

My first impression was some type of maple.
That's interesting. I do have that ash still on site and the only thing that looks like it is the wood, the bark is all different tho. The white ash has little to no diamond cross patterns. This one has them pretty prevalent. And if it's maple, I've heard maple has a very unmistakeable sweet smell when split. And maybe even before hand. Is that true?

i haven't heard that or seen it with any of my maple but if it is sweet smell i would go with apple

If it was in the North east Id say Ash.

It very well could be ash as stated before. It just doesn't look anything like the white ash I scrounged recently