Ash Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of ash trees? My buddy has 10 trees to take down in his neighborhood. If I help him, he'll trailer the firewood over for me to have. Is it decent firewood or am I wasting time trying to score some ash?

It's pretty decent stuff from what I've heard, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it. Just check to see if there are any ash quarantines before transporting it across county lines. The emerald ash borer is really starting to spread in our area.

Do not pass go, get going, get all you can ,perfect firewood, dries fast ,and if they are dead, some of it ,you can probably burn the same day.

I've heard great things about it, I would get it as long as there are no regs against transporting it.

Do not pass go, get going, get all you can ,perfect firewood, dries fast ,and if they are dead, some of it ,you can probably burn the same day.

+1

Reactions: ScotO
Um...don't walk, RUN!!! Get all you can! Ash is awesome wood---seasons fairly quickly and puts out the BTUs.

Many consider it the best. Splits easy, dries quickly, burns hot, does leave ash, smells nice and is usually pretty straight. Never turn it down.

+1 super score

Many consider it the best. Splits easy, dries quickly, burns hot, does leave ash, smells nice and is usually pretty straight. Never turn it down.

x2, pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. My personal favorite, too bad we don't have many left around here.

I put ash above red oak due to the seasoning time oak requires.

Get all you can. If I could only burn one type of wood, Ash would be my choice. It's known as the firewood of kings. Somewhere on the forum is a poem describing Ash for it's attributes that others have already mentioned. A C

Get all you can. If I could only burn one type of wood, Ash would be my choice. It's known as the firewood of kings. Somewhere on the forum is a poem describing Ash for it's attributes that others have already mentioned. A C

Ash that's wet or ash that's dry, a king shall warm his slippers by.

I've seen a few different spins but here is one.

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year.
Chestnut's only good, they say,
If for long 'tis laid away.
But Ash new or Ash old
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.
Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last.
It is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E ' en the very flames are cold.
But Ash green or Ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown.
Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke.
Apple wood will scent your room
With an incense like perfume.
Oaken logs, if dry and old.
Keep away the winter's cold.
But Ash wet or Ash dry
A king shall warm his slippers by.

Reactions: ScotO
What do you think of ash trees? My buddy has 10 trees to take down in his neighborhood. If I help him, he'll trailer the firewood over for me to have. Is it decent firewood or am I wasting time trying to score some ash?
Is this a trick question? Can you imagine having the large end of baseball bats to burn all winter. That's Ash. Get as much as you can!

I didn't know guys...I didn't realize it was so good. I can probably get cords worth this fall and leave some of it in log form as long as rot isn't a big issue. I can probably split a cord or two for this winter.

I don't know how much 10 trees produces. It has the ash borer, which is why he's getting paid to take them down.

I like fast seasoning wood. I have lots of oak...but it's not ready. It smells nice though when you are near the stacks.

Dead standing ash is pretty dry,Depending on how long it was dead but, If U cut Dead standing ash, and lay it on the ground \moisture content will increase , absorb moisture from the ground.
keep it off the ground ,in log form :) You are good to go , it will continue to dry but , not as if it were split .

Someone's gotta say it.

I love a good piece of ash.

As another member mentioned . . . if I had to only burn one species of wood it would be ash -- it's an all around decent wood.

Ash is the best IMO

White Ash is good stuff, and the other Ashes are still OK, about like soft Maple.

Reactions: Gark
Good stuff! Second only to Black Locust in my opinion.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I'm a total ash man. It rules.

White Ash is good stuff, and the other Ashes are still OK, about like soft Maple.
So, the same way we say "hard maple" (sugar) vs. "soft maple" (silver, red), shouldn't we also say "hard ash" (white) vs. "soft ash" (green, black)? Except that that sounds kinda weird, like "so and so is being a hard-ash".
To answer the OP, ash is great firewood.

Reactions: schlot
Status
Not open for further replies.