Ash Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If all of my Ash trees died I would have 10 years of firewood.

If all of my Ash trees died I would have 10 years of firewood.
Lets hope your ash trees don't die, Jack......it's good to know that you have that wood if needed, but it'd be a shame to lose 'em. I'm holding out some hope that maybe these bugs will fall prey to a harsh winter, if we'd ever get one. I'm hoping we get one soon.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Well, we've been cutting them for 11 years now and still lots to go. In addition, we've had others come in and cut. They have taken more than we have and we'll still have too much. But they are scattered over about a 20 acre area; still thinned the woods more than I wanted.

Reactions: ScotO
Lets hope your ash trees don't die, Jack......it's good to know that you have that wood if needed, but it'd be a shame to lose 'em. I'm holding out some hope that maybe these bugs will fall prey to a harsh winter, if we'd ever get one. I'm hoping we get one soon.....

I would not count on that one Scott. We were hoping for the same but it never happened.

As it is, about 5% of my Ash trees die each year for no apparent reason.

I'm at a wedding and I'm hiding my phone under the table.

Reactions: ScotO
ash is good not great wood ,its second tier wood like woody says about like soft maple , not near any oak ,locust or hickory. but seasons fast .Burns Hot but not real long . We got all you could EVER want here . Personally I don't seek it anymore. But as regions vary may be very good for you;)

cheers

ps in my woods the very young ash are doing well . Think maybe the barks too tight to let them in "I hope"

We had the purple boxes two years ago in the eastern part of NY and I believe they did not find any. Since then, I haven't seen anymore boxes.

I heard the EAB is in Orange County, which is about 50-60 miles as the crow flies from here. Once it gets here its a hop, skip and a jump to CT.
A couple of weeks ago they announced EAB presence in a park 2 miles from my house ( southington , ct) . It looks that all the bans on transporting firewood make no difference anyway.

A couple of weeks ago they announced EAB presence in a park 2 miles from my house ( southington , ct) . It looks that all the bans on transporting firewood make no difference anyway.

they came from Asia in on imports so how can a ban locally stop them :rolleyes: free trade commerce

also don't believe the bugs conform to our regulations:eek:

ash is good not great wood ,its second tier wood like woody says about like soft maple , not near any oak ,locust or hickory. but seasons fast .Burns Hot but not real long . We got all you could EVER want here . Personally I don't seek it anymore. But as regions vary may be very good for you;)

cheers

ps in my woods the very young ash are doing well . Think maybe the barks too tight to let them in "I hope"

Ash is just a touch below red oak on any BTU chart I've ever looked at. Chimney Sweeps chart has red oak at 22.1 and Ash at 21.6. Some charts even put white ash over red oak.

The young ash will make it longer than the bigger trees but they will die sooner or later.

If they're in CT, then they are most likely in my neck of the woods. Once it starts there is no stopping this. Sad that an entire species of tree might get wiped out. And what happens to the EAB when all the Ash are dead? Does it somehow change host tree types?

Reactions: Applesister
Another vote for ash. This winters supply is mostly locust cut summer 11 and a ton of ash cut summer 12. The ash is definitely drier and will go first.

Supposedly we don't have eab here but I've got a few more sick ones in the woods between me and neighbor. Neighbor had a bunch treated but I have a feeling they will come down eventually. Lots of ash burning to come I think...

cheers

You must be talking about Green Ash not White Ash. and I think green ash is noticably better then silver maple but not by a whole lot.

What do you think of ash trees? My buddy has 10 trees to take down in his neighborhood. If I help him, he'll trailer the firewood over for me to have. Is it decent firewood or am I wasting time trying to score some ash?
Very clean easy to split wood, dries very quickly.

cheers

Whoa Jack. You must not have white ash down there because white ash is one of the best. The burn times won't be quite as long as with oak but it won't be very far behind it. To me it is about one of the most ideal woods for firewood.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Whoa Jack. You must not have white ash down there because white ash is one of the best. The burn times won't be quite as long as with oak but it won't be very far behind it. To me it is about one of the most ideal woods for firewood.

well I looked up green ash & that's not what we got its white ash ,Never said it was not good ,just not the best .Maybe for some its top in their local ,me I got a Hickory woods 300 yds south east of mine .Mine is 95% oak . I'm jones 'in for some hickory:p I don't like the gassing off temp spikes I get from ash. Seasoned oak I don't have that with . Your results will vary from mine I'm sure;)

cheers

Jake Fate, you stated the ash you had was like Silver Maple and aint no way White Ash is like silver maple, I have been burning oak for over 30 years and have burnt black locust and White Ash can hold its own to those woods. According to YOUR description of how it burns it dont sound like White Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.