Ash Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should say, Green and Black are like soft Maple. There are a lot of varieties and I think some of them are pretty high BTU....

I didn't know guys...I didn't realize it was so good. I can probably get cords worth this fall and leave some of it in log form as long as rot isn't a big issue. I can probably split a cord or two for this winter.

I don't know how much 10 trees produces. It has the ash borer, which is why he's getting paid to take them down.

I like fast seasoning wood. I have lots of oak...but it's not ready. It smells nice though when you are near the stacks.

That's okay that you didn't know firecracker. We all have to learn and keep on learning. As for the ash, it makes up about 99% of what we've burned since 2002 or 2003. We still have plenty of it to cut as all our ash trees died. We have enough on hand already to take us somewhere around the year 2020.

As for the wood rotting, forget it. I've still got some ash wood on the ground that has been there for many years and it has not rotted. I found some one year that I knew had laid there 2 or 3 years and most of that time it was in water. It was fine after it dried out. No rot at all.

Although we've been cutting mostly ash since around 2002, we have just started running into a very few that is showing some punk and we've had only two trees fall on their own. They were still good for burning and are in our wood stacks somewhere. This coming winter we'll be burning ash that was cut during the winter of 2008-2009. It will warm us wonderfully.

Get all you can and you'll also be amazed at how easy it is to split.

Reactions: blujacket and ScotO
That's okay that you didn't know firecracker. We all have to learn and keep on learning. As for the ash, it makes up about 99% of what we've burned since 2002 or 2003. We still have plenty of it to cut as all our ash trees died. We have enough on hand already to take us somewhere around the year 2020.

As for the wood rotting, forget it. I've still got some ash wood on the ground that has been there for many years and it has not rotted. I found some one year that I knew had laid there 2 or 3 years and most of that time it was in water. It was fine after it dried out. No rot at all.

Although we've been cutting mostly ash since around 2002, we have just started running into a very few that is showing some punk and we've had only two trees fall on their own. They were still good for burning and are in our wood stacks somewhere. This coming winter we'll be burning ash that was cut during the winter of 2008-2009. It will warm us wonderfully.

2008-2009 wood. Wow!!! I'm glad it is rot resistant. I'll try to take it all from him then.

How many cords a year do you use if you are that far ahead on your wood supply?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ash is, not doubt, the very best "all around" firewood that ever graced the earth.....it's just all around good. Splits nicely, seasons quickly, easy to light off, puts out the heat, gives "decent" coals, and burns down to absolute powder......

if they ever come out with an ash/locust hybrid (locasht, maybe?), I'd be all about that stuff!! Lots of ash and locust in my stacks, I hope I'm never without it........

I didn't know guys...I didn't realize it was so good. I can probably get cords worth this fall and leave some of it in log form as long as rot isn't a big issue. I can probably split a cord or two for this winter.

I don't know how much 10 trees produces. It has the ash borer, which is why he's getting paid to take them down.

I like fast seasoning wood. I have lots of oak...but it's not ready. It smells nice though when you are near the stacks.

Don't worry about not knowing something, or asking dumb questions here. I've been doing this for a couple years and I'm still learning things.

Now, which end of the wedge do I put against the wood again...the sharp end or the flat end...hmmmm.

10 ash trees makes up my 14/15 wood. Cut and split this spring, they gave me about 3.5 cord.

Ash is great, but I disagree on dead ones being ready to burn that day. I've cut many, many dead ash the last few years and haven't found any I would want to throw right in the stove. It's pretty darn good after 6 months, though. Give it a year, and you'll have some perfect firewood.

Waulie, I believe he said SOME could be burnt the same day and more then likely it would be some of the branches not the trunk.

My next door neighbor alerted me to the purple box traps the town has set to attract the Emerald Ash Borers. I have to check to see if they have made their way to New York.

There's a purple box about a half mile down the road fro my place.

Eventually all - think dutch elm disease kind of reach.

Reactions: ScotO
I am just outside a "significant risk" zone. My front yard pretty much is an ash tree!

10 ash trees makes up my 14/15 wood. Cut and split this spring, they gave me about 3.5 cord.

Ash is great, but I disagree on dead ones being ready to burn that day. I've cut many, many dead ash the last few years and haven't found any I would want to throw right in the stove. It's pretty darn good after 6 months, though. Give it a year, and you'll have some perfect firewood.
If they are decent-sized, not real big, I figure somewhere around half a cord per tree as a ballpark figure. Most of the dead White I cut is mid to upper 20s MC. Definitely needs to be stacked several months but it seems to dry pretty quickly. Like HDrock said, the tops might be almost there. I probably have a more damp climate that Dennis, and the Ash will start to punk out if it's on the ground for real long. Even then, I can usually cull out the punk and get a lot of good wood. I like to grab it when it's still standing but even then I might run into a little punk. If there is substantial punk starting, it will absorb rain moisture in the stack. If you get it stacked now, it might burn pretty decent at some point this winter. And don't forget to post the pics. ==c

I can absolutely say , you can burn some standing dead ash the same day, I have done it more than once, not a 20" trunk ! but the top half of the trees and smaller ones.
One 12" tree was 17% MC at the trunk, the 8" trees I have cut were at 15% MC, trees were dead 2-3 years

Jeez guys. Yes, you can burn it right away. It is a relatively low moisture wood to begin with. I guess others have different experiences then me, but I stand by my statement....
I've cut many, many dead ash the last few years and haven't found any I would want to throw right in the stove.
Because, after all, I have cut many, many dead ash the last few years and haven't found any I would want to throw right in the stove.

That's my experience, if anyone cares. I thought the OP might, since he was asking.

What would you guys do if you had a lot of healthy Ash trees with the threat of the EAB coming to your area? I'm considering cutting more Ash now and leaving the other species for the future.

What would you guys do if you had a lot of healthy Ash trees with the threat of the EAB coming to your area? I'm considering cutting more Ash now and leaving the other species for the future.

There's no great reason to cut them now, but there's probably a 99% chance they're all going to die. After they die, they seem to last a good long time standing dead. However, after 4 years since the borer arrived, I've run into some punky branches and had a hinge pop on me the other day due to a less than solid center. These things make felling a bit interesting.

Your call, really. If you need the wood and don't have any dead to cut, I would probably say to start with a selective ash cut for now, leaving some nice specimens on the tiny chance that EAB misses you.

Here we go again, do what works for you, monitor your flue temps and creosote build up, get a MM (even if you hate them) learn how to use it correctly and when you get the time and space get 3 years ahead.
Over the yeas I have cut plenty of wood that was as dry as it was ever going to get the day I cut it and it burnt well but you can not rely on it, 3 years ahead means you can cut any thing and it will be ready to go when you need it. Not having the space or you are a new wood burner means you have to be more picky

My next door neighbor alerted me to the purple box traps the town has set to attract the Emerald Ash Borers. I have to check to see if they have made their way to New York.
We had the purple boxes two years ago in the eastern part of NY and I believe they did not find any. Since then, I haven't seen anymore boxes.

I heard the EAB is in Orange County, which is about 50-60 miles as the crow flies from here. Once it gets here its a hop, skip and a jump to CT.

Jack, we got hit with the ash borer in 2002. All our ash trees have been dead for many years and we are still cutting. The wood is still good too. So, I see no need to hurry things along unless you need the wood.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.