Ash ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnin to burn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2008
Southeastern, Pa
Had some one tell me the other day they were told to stay away from Ash wood because it produces a lot of ash. I thought I read on here somewhere that it was the bark that produced a lot of ash not the wood. I would like to know which is true or if both are true or not true so I can have informed conversations.

No matter what the answer's are I'm still going to burn 3-4 cord of it this season.

Thanks
Still learnin

Never heard that one before. I burn Ash almost exclusively. It takes me about 4 days of 24/7 burning in the coldest weather to fill a coal hod with ashes.

Aspen on the other hand produces terrible ash that is so light and fine that flies everywhere.

learnin to burn said:
No matter what the answer's are I'm still going to burn 3-4 cord of it this season.

With good reason, it splits easy and seasons nicely.

All wood produces ash . . . I can't see any real change in the amount of ash produced when I use ash firewood vs. using other firewood. In truth, I love ash . . . seasons pretty quickly, gives good heat, splits like a dream (at least that is the case with white ash.) Honestly, if I had to limit myself to only one wood species it would probably be ash since it seems to be a good, all-around wood -- doesn't burn as hot or as long as some wood species, but it's other attributes are highly desirable to me.

I have found that boxelder produces more ash than other types of wood... and i agree that aspen does too... but havent noticed any excess when burning ash...

Ash is great hardwood and FAST seasoning! Take all you can get! I have 2 ash trees coming down in my yard and they will be split for next year!

Tell him ash does suck. But you like it. Tell him to call you, when he sees some ash for free.

firefighterjake said:
All wood produces ash . . . I can't see any real change in the amount of ash produced when I use ash firewood vs. using other firewood.

Try some black walnut some time. Armload in, bucket out.

Jags said:
firefighterjake said:
All wood produces ash . . . I can't see any real change in the amount of ash produced when I use ash firewood vs. using other firewood.

Ah, I could be wrong then . . . never burned black walnut . . . in fact I'm not really sure if we even have any black walnut around here.

I burned a couple cords of hard maple last year...fantastic wood, lots of btu's...but it produced unbeleivable amounts of ash. Ash wood is fantastic...easy to work with, good heat, low residue. Take every scrap you can get your hands on.

firefighterjake said:
Jags said:
firefighterjake said:

Ah, I could be wrong then . . . never burned black walnut . . . in fact I'm not really sure if we even have any black walnut around here.

It makes better furniture than firewood. Its not bad, mind you. It will burn, but its in the middle of the pack for heat.

Behold! 9 wonderful cords of white ash.

Wood-2009c.gif

Dennis, that is truly a sickness that your piles can look that damn good! I am 39 and have been burning wood since I was about 14. I still can not get piles like that! I do split smaller though cause I only season 6-16 months. Nice!

Thanks burntime. Believe it or not, I had hesitated on posting those pictures a long time ago....because they weren't the best stacking job in the world for sure. But most seem to like them and they aren't falling over so I guess they aren't bad.

Last ash I got I got wood!!! No really, went to take a downed limb and got to take a 24" tree. I was very happy.
Take as much as you can.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.