Ashe Juniper (Texas Cedar)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Virginia
Good morning, knowledgeable tree folks.

My family recently relocated from Virginia to Texas. We're getting settled in, and my husband suggested that a one good activity for the day would be to cut down some cedar. We have about three acres which, unfortunately, was overgrazed, and it's so barren of natural vegetation that the neighbors refer to it as a moonscape. Thankfully there are many well-established trees, and so leaf litter will help to provide some soil in coming years. Nevertheless, there is too much new growth of Ashe Juniper, and we need to clear some.

I've burned Eastern Redcedar here and there in a woodstove, as does my mother, so I know it can be done. I've never had that much of it, though. We do have some dead oaks (red and live) that we'll need to process as well.

We don't actually have a stove, and we plan to spend a least one winter here to figure out how much heat we might actually need in the cool months before we think of one. We will build the woodpile, though, as we need to take care of the land.

We do have a prefab fireplace that has gas logs in it, though I've been told it's woodburning as well. I doubt it will see much use, but I'm wondering about using Ashe Juniper if we wanted to build a fire. I know it wouldn't have high BTUs or be long lasting, but I don't know how much call we'd have for either of those things.

Is it safe to burn Juniper/Cedar in a pre-fab fireplace (it does have a good screen in case of sparks)? I'm not one who's scared of pine for a woodstove, but this whole prefab fireplace is a different animal to me. I'd appreciate words of wisdom or advice from those more knowledgeable and experienced.

Good morning, knowledgeable tree folks.

My family recently relocated from Virginia to Texas. We're getting settled in, and my husband suggested that a one good activity for the day would be to cut down some cedar. We have about three acres which, unfortunately, was overgrazed, and it's so barren of natural vegetation that the neighbors refer to it as a moonscape. Thankfully there are many well-established trees, and so leaf litter will help to provide some soil in coming years. Nevertheless, there is too much new growth of Ashe Juniper, and we need to clear some.

I've burned Eastern Redcedar here and there in a woodstove, as does my mother, so I know it can be done. I've never had that much of it, though. We do have some dead oaks (red and live) that we'll need to process as well.

We don't actually have a stove, and we plan to spend a least one winter here to figure out how much heat we might actually need in the cool months before we think of one. We will build the woodpile, though, as we need to take care of the land.

We do have a prefab fireplace that has gas logs in it, though I've been told it's woodburning as well. I doubt it will see much use, but I'm wondering about using Ashe Juniper if we wanted to build a fire. I know it wouldn't have high BTUs or be long lasting, but I don't know how much call we'd have for either of those things.

Is it safe to burn Juniper/Cedar in a pre-fab fireplace (it does have a good screen in case of sparks)? I'm not one who's scared of pine for a woodstove, but this whole prefab fireplace is a different animal to me. I'd appreciate words of wisdom or advice from those more knowledgeable and experienced.

Sounds like you've got a plan as you get settled in. I'd make this post over in the stove section with a post title like "Burning cedar in a prefab fireplace" or something like that. I think a lot of folks would be able to weigh in on that. Unfortunately, I'm only reasonably qualified to speak on the two specific stoves I own. I'm sure the question of a liner would come up, recent cleanings, etc. But I don't got one so I don't know!

Sounds like you have reasonable expectations grounded in reality and that is an EXCELLENT starting point!!:)

Sounds like you've got a plan as you get settled in. I'd make this post over in the stove section with a post title like "Burning cedar in a prefab fireplace" or something like that. I think a lot of folks would be able to weigh in on that. Unfortunately, I'm only reasonably qualified to speak on the two specific stoves I own. I'm sure the question of a liner would come up, recent cleanings, etc. But I don't got one so I don't know!

Sounds like you have reasonable expectations grounded in reality and that is an EXCELLENT starting point!!:)

Thanks, Soundchasm. I was thinking my question was a wood question, but after some more time and thought, it is probably more the fact that I'm just nervous about the whole idea of a prefab fireplace. I have called a professional for an inspection, but there's nothing scheduled yet. It was supposed to be this week, so we'll see.

Reactions: Soundchasm
It may sound odd but an open fireplace is less likely to be a problem than a modern stove. With an open fire most of the heat goes up the chimney and carries any deposits with it. A modern stove is far more efficient and higher up the chimney does not get so hot and creosote laden moisture can condense on the cooler upper parts of the chimney. I am sure you will only burn well seasoned wood anyway.

http://www.woodburners.com/faqs/wood-burning-stoves-why-chimneys-need-lining.html

Last edited: