Ashford 30 thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Ashford 30 owners. Have you had any problems with your thermostat on your stove? Any parts breaking or durability issues? Just asking. Thanks!

Nope, never heard of any BK thermostats breaking. Only some occasional lubrication.

Ashford 30 owners. Have you had any problems with your thermostat on your stove? Any parts breaking or durability issues? Just asking. Thanks!
It's a pretty simple device. Mine got quite loose a few days ago and I had to tighten the collar on the spring washers to add some friction. Bit of a PITA because if you move the collar a fraction of a mm, the set screw wants to reseat in its old position. Took me about 15 minutes, now it's really tight.

It's a pretty simple device. Mine got quite loose a few days ago and I had to tighten the collar on the spring washers to add some friction. Bit of a PITA because if you move the collar a fraction of a mm, the set screw wants to reseat in its old position. Took me about 15 minutes, now it's really tight.

You couldn’t just clock it a few degrees off the old position, so the set screw misses the divot left by the old setting?

You couldn’t just clock it a few degrees off the old position, so the set screw misses the divot left by the old setting?
Nope, there's a flat on the shaft so you can't change the stop position of the collar/set screw, which is a good thing. I was trying to slide the collar towards the spring washer to add a bit of friction to the shaft/knob assembly to prevent it from rotating on its own. Really all it needed was to be moved a few hundreths of an inch to add that bit of friction, but the indentation from the previous setting doesn't allow such a small adjustment. You've really got to hold the collar in the new position and try and force a new indentation to get it to hold.

Reactions: Ashful