Ashley AF700 (new to me)

john26

Feeling the Heat
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I just picked up an Ashley AF700 yesterday seller stated "the blower kicks on and off a lot". I think I can see the problem! I know these are the best but for $250 I will try it.

thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail (4).jpg thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail (6).jpg thumbnail (7).jpg

andym

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2020
Hicksville, Ohio
I'd say you got a good deal. Any chance the wood he was burning was wet? ;lol let me guess....'fully seasoned'.....
There was another member recently that added a bimetal thermostatic draft control doohickey to his Claytonfurnace (same design). I thought it looked like a good setup.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
I know these are the best but for $250 I will try it.
Yeah, not the best, not the worst...you got a good deal on it though.
Cleaning the HX may help the blower cycling some...it will probably still do it though...make sure the blower is wired to low speed and pay attention to your static pressure too.
added a bimetal thermostatic draft control doohickey to his Claytonfurnace
This probably would be a good candidate for a bimetallic damper control mod...

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
There was another member recently that added a bimetal thermostatic draft control doohickey to his Claytonfurnace (same design). I thought it looked like a good setup.
Here?

Last edited:
Reactions: andym

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
That's a hell of a deal! Burn good seasoned wood and keep the draft in spec and do a couple tweaks and it should make a good heater.

john26

Feeling the Heat
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I wired the blowers direct to test they run good nice and quiet. I try to get standing dead wood then have it split and covered 9 months plus so wood should be good this years batch was perfect. I will have to check but but I thinks its a single speed blower. I will definitely have to check draft chimney will be around 35' of 6" liner then about 6' stove pipe in the basement with a 90 on the back and most like a T on the bottom of the liner with a 45 connecting them. A key damper may be necessary.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio

john26

Feeling the Heat
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I was wondering how much a 90 45 and T would knock the draft down.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
A little, not a lot.
Each 90 is said to negate 2-3' of chimney height...barely puts a dent in a 40' chimney.

Reactions: hobbyheater