Ashley/King 5500m help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ymurf

Jan 8, 2012
Missouri
Hello all,I am new here but looks like a very informative place.Hope you guys can help me.I just got a Ashley King pellet stove from my aunt.Its an 09 stove model 5500m.She was second owner and didn't use it but once and the guy that bought it new only used it one winter. I gave it a good cleaning when I got it yesterday.Blew out the squirrel cage blower and everything. I have two questions.I lit it for the first time last night,I have it in my 24'x43' garage.It lit good and then I noticed before the room blower kicked on the other fan that was blowing steady while it was lighting started kicking on and off.Even after the room blower kicked on it still just kicks on and off.You can go outside and listen to the exhaust pipe and it kicks on and off..Is this normal? Doesn't say anything in the manual except something about it adjusting for the heat setting.I thought it would just blow more or less but maby this is normal.I have looked and looked on line and seen several complaints about this and seen a couple that said that's the way there suppose to do. Is this normal on this model? Second question is the rope gasket on door seal looks fine but when door is closed I can see a small gap at the top of the door.I can slip a piece of paper in one spot at the top of door.Should I replace rope gasket and can this be done by me?Does it glue in? Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

ymurf said:
Hello all,I am new here but looks like a very informative place.Hope you guys can help me.I just got a Ashley King pellet stove from my aunt.Its an 09 stove model 5500m.She was second owner and didn't use it but once and the guy that bought it new only used it one winter. I gave it a good cleaning when I got it yesterday.Blew out the squirrel cage blower and everything. I have two questions.I lit it for the first time last night,I have it in my 24'x43' garage.It lit good and then I noticed before the room blower kicked on the other fan that was blowing steady while it was lighting started kicking on and off.Even after the room blower kicked on it still just kicks on and off.You can go outside and listen to the exhaust pipe and it kicks on and off..Is this normal? Doesn't say anything in the manual except something about it adjusting for the heat setting.I thought it would just blow more or less but maby this is normal.I have looked and looked on line and seen several complaints about this and seen a couple that said that's the way there suppose to do. Is this normal on this model? Second question is the rope gasket on door seal looks fine but when door is closed I can see a small gap at the top of the door.I can slip a piece of paper in one spot at the top of door.Should I replace rope gasket and can this be done by me?Does it glue in? Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

First welcome to the forum.

Second replace that door gasket you'll only be pulling your hair out due to bad burns if you don't.

Third that is a USSC stove and a number of their combustion blowers pulsate.

Fourth you might also want to locate and test any ash drawer or ash bin door gaskets, if there are any they need to pass the dollar bill test.

SmokeyTheBear said:
ymurf said:

Second replace that door gasket you'll only be pulling your hair out due to bad burns if you don't.

Fourth you might also want to locate and test any ash drawer or ash bin door gaskets, if there are any they need to pass the dollar bill test.
Thanks for the reply..Not a stove pro by no means,But when I cleaned everything I didnt see any other gaskets.There are two plates,one on each side of the burn pot that the manual said to take off and clean behind.I did that and it had allot of ash back there..Can I replace this rope gasket myself? Is this a hard job? Does it just glue in?

ymurf said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
ymurf said:

Thanks for the reply..Not a stove pro by no means,But when I cleaned everything I didnt see any other gaskets.There are two plates,one on each side of the burn pot that the manual said to take off and clean behind.I did that and it had allot of ash back there..Can I replace this rope gasket myself? Is this a hard job? Does it just glue in?

You get the proper size rope gasket and a tube of gasket cement (a lot of folks use high temperature silicone sealant instead) the old stuff gets pulled off and the old adhesive removed (this is the worst part of it).

Then the new gasket is cemented in place and the door closed for time for the cement to set up (check whatever you get it should tell you).

Sometimes you have to resort to a solvent to remove the old gunk. Most will soften up with acetone (old fingernail polish remover).

SmokeyTheBear said:
ymurf said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
ymurf said:

You get the proper size rope gasket and a tube of gasket cement (a lot of folks use high temperature silicone sealant instead) the old stuff gets pulled off and the old adhesive removed (this is the worst part of it).

Then the new gasket is cemented in place and the door closed for time for the cement to set up (check whatever you get it should tell you).

Sometimes you have to resort to a solvent to remove the old gunk. Most will soften up with acetone (old fingernail polish remover).
Thanks,I will give it a shot.I am a machinist and we use acetone at work.

Hello Everyone!! I am new to pellet stoves also. I just bought a 5500M. The blower fan pulses by design. The fan is adjusted, when on automatic, by the heat range (HR) selected.
I hope you have better luck with yours than I am having with mine. The advice to ensure the door seal is good is very important. I had to adjust my door latch, a hammer and a few good wacks and the door was tight enough to keep the fumes from seeping into the room.

You can download a manual from the US Stove web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.