PLEASE HELP - King 5500m Error 5!?!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shook1db

Dec 18, 2017
Michigan
Hello everyone,

I recently got a King 5500m for my pole barn/gym. I have a furnace out there that'll get it up to temp but the King 5500m is out there to maintain the temp once it's there (it's a TON cheaper than propane).

I got it and it was very dirty/used. I cleaned everything up (watched the cleaning video on US Stove's youtube channel) and ran it. It ran for about 4 hours and did great. Kept and even warmed up the pole barn even more than we expected.

The next day I come out and turn it on, open the front up to light the pellets with my propane torch (the igniter doesn't work like everyone else that has a king 5500m apparently), light it, close the door and then shortly after get an Error 5 on the panel and now it won't work at all/feed pellets. It just flashes error 5.

I have replaced the auger motor, checked every fuse on the board, did the factory reset, removed the auger entirely, remove the exhaust fan and anything else I can think of. Even re-cleaned it and it still says error 5. I know the auger motor is getting some power because it does turn a little bit right when you turn it on.

Anyone have any idea's? Vacuum switch? I am doing everything I can to get this thing running b/c propane prices are out of control. Did I do this by opening the front door after turning the stove on to manually light the pellets?

I appreciate any and all help here. I know this stove isn't great. I know it's not recommended. Someday I'll buy a nice stove if this works out well, I just got this one for free and am trying to get it back up and running.

Check voltage at auger motor,when it tries to run.Also,can hook auger directly to outlet to test new one.Should be 115volts.

Is the auger jammed ?

For free is the right price in my book;). Dont open the door after you turn it on. Light the fire, close the door, hit on button

Check voltage at auger motor,when it tries to run.Also,can hook auger directly to outlet to test new one.Should be 115volts.

I'll have to give that a shot. I know one motor is brand new and I know power is getting to the motor b/c I can watch the back of it spin up when I turn it on (until the error 5 shows up on the screen).

Is the auger jammed ?
Should it free spin with the machine off? It doesn't seem to the do that. I removed the auger, there are no pellets in it at this point at all (cleaned under the auguer). If I put the auger in place (before hooking it up to the auger motor it free spins. Once I hook it up to the motor it doesn't free spin anymore.

For free is the right price in my book;). Dont open the door after you turn it on. Light the fire, close the door, hit on button

Good to know! Now it won't stop spitting out the error 5 even with the door closed.

With your auger motor attached it shoul not free spin, Error 5 is the auger motor fuse blew

A fuse may look god and still not be up to par
Check it with a meter

Reactions: heat seeker
Have you unplugged the stove for a min or so see if the board resets itself?

Have you unplugged the stove for a min or so see if the board resets itself?

Yeah it sits unplugged when i'm not out there working on it. It has sat unplugged as well and I've done the AUX up/down arrow hold until the screen said "bye" and factory reset.

Anyone know if the vacuum switch could be the issue?

Vac switch -- If no vac present auger motor will not run
No Vac. caused by -- Bad switch -- vac leak at door gasket -- ash pan gasket leak
combustion fan not working -- passage ways for exhaust full of ash -- plunged
intake for combustion air -- plugged chimney(ash , bird nest etc.)
I may have missed some

Take both wires off the vac switch and connect together and see if the auger works. They carry line voltage so be carefull and dont let them touch the stove.

Replaced all the fuses. Also touched the vac wires together. Still Error 5. Unplugged and reset the machine, still Error 5. I haven't gotten a multi-meter yet to test the power at the auger motor.

One thing i just thought of, this new auger motor was it an OEM or an ebay $50.00special? Alot of the Chinese knock offs are decent motors but they are much higher amp draw. If your board is sensitive enough to detect the amp draw it could give a false code and not run. Still have the old motor? If you do lube it up and try it.

I tore the old one apart, all the gears look great, lubed everything up plugged it in same problem. It spins the back post up and then stops spinning it and says "error 5". The new one is from Earth Sense Energy Systems in Wisconsin. I'm assuming it's OE (not OEM). King told me to unplug the auger motor and turn it on and see if it still shows the error. Going to try that today.

Earth sense energy (aka pellethead). Sells a Chinese motor they had made just for them. They sell the same motor for all kinds of stoves and charge diff prices. I have 2 that are for my 25pdvc and they are good motors but they draw 2x amperage. Hope the no auger test works

Very good to know. I did not know that. At this point I have no reason to think the old motor isn't working so I will most likely be sending the new motor back. I'll try and plug the old motor back in now that I've made all these changes and see if it works now. I haven't tried the older one since I've replaced the fuses/cleaned up the board removed/re-installed the auger.

You can bench test your old auger with a cord plugged into a wall socket. Just don’t get electrocuted :)

Alright after I did the testing they asked me to the manufacturer thinks the board is bad... Anyone have a source on boards that aren't really expensive?