Ashley NCA1 Need install advice & can't find manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

notlaw12

Oct 8, 2020
Massachussets
I'm a novice and need help to design a corner hearth to install this stove...I've done enough research to make my head hurt... I know the stove is old but it was free... I can't find the manual if anyone has one? the label is pasted below.

The floor is plywood over wood joists and sheetrock walls.
I'm thinking of:
Floor = Micore-300 Mineral fiberboard under a brick (hollow bricks with airflow )
Question #1: do you think that meets or exceeds the label of 3/8" millboard or K-factor of 0.43. that was confusing to me the way they stated it on the Ashley label. It has 6" high legs.

Walls = brick veneer (1/3 thick brick) mortared to sheetrock. Then sheet metal corner spaced 1" from that brick wall and floor.
Question #2: Will this allow me to place stove 12" from Sheet metal considering the label states 19" requirement?

Question #3: Where is the best place to purchase materials near (I'm near Worcester MA) i.e. fiberboard, stovepipe, chimney (hopefully 12' straight up through flat wood roof)

Question #4: Is an outside air supply/duct required?

Any advice would be really appreciated

our stove.jpg

Yes, with a micore underlayer the bricks on top will be fine. Or you could use a couple of sheets of Durock cement board.
You don't need bricks behind a proper NFPA 211 wall shield. The wall shield can be just sheet metal. The key is that it must have a clear 1" airspace behind it and be open at least 1" on the bottom and top so that air can freely convect behind it. Here is a guide on making one. With this in place, the clearance can be reduced to 12".

Reactions: notlaw12
Yes, with a micore underlayer the bricks on top will be fine. Or you could use a couple of sheets of Durock cement board.
You don't need bricks behind a proper NFPA 211 wall shield. The wall shield can be just sheet metal. The key is that it must have a clear 1" airspace behind it and be open at least 1" on the bottom and top so that air can freely convect behind it. Here is a guide on making one. With this in place, the clearance can be reduced to 12".
Thank you for the good information... much appreciated. Do you have a recommendation for an online supplier?

Try your local lumber or masonry yard for hearth supplies.
www.woodstovepro.com has been pretty good for me for chimney supplies. So has Woodland Direct.

Try your local lumber or masonry yard for hearth supplies.
www.woodstovepro.com has been pretty good for me for chimney supplies. So has Woodland Direct.
Quick question: how best to maintain stove pipe clearance from the wall... I have the clearance reducing sheet metal 12" from the stove... my smoke pipe will go straight up through the ceiling but above the sheet metal, it will be only 13" from the wall... do most convert to double or triple wall above the sheet metal and up to the ceiling?

Quick question: how best to maintain stove pipe clearance from the wall... I have the clearance reducing sheet metal 12" from the stove... my smoke pipe will go straight up through the ceiling but above the sheet metal, it will be only 13" from the wall... do most convert to double or triple wall above the sheet metal and up to the ceiling?
Most all run the double-wall stove pipe from the stove to the ceiling connector after which it is high-temp chimney pipe up through the roof.